What is the Pandora Papers leak?
The Pandora Papers is a leak of almost 12 million documents that reveal hidden secrets of world leaders, billionaires and politicians.
The documents show hidden wealth, tax avoidance and money laundering.
The data was obtained by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) which has been working with more than 140 media organizations on the global investigation.
For months, more than 600 journalists in 117 countries have been going through the files and finding the stories that will be published this month.
The Guardian and BBC Panorama have led the investigation in the UK.
What has been uncovered from the Pandora Papers leak?
The leak includes 6.4 million documents, almost 3 million images, more than a million emails and almost half-a-million spreadsheets.
Stories revealed so far include:
- the prominent Tory donor who was involved in one of Europe’s biggest corruption scandals
- the King of Jordan’s £70m spending spree on properties in the UK and US through secretly-owned companies
- Azerbaijan’s leading family’s hidden involvement in property deals in the UK worth more than £400m
- the Czech prime minister’s failure to declare an offshore investment company used to purchase two French villas for £12m
- how the family of Kenyan president Uhuru Kenyatta’s secretly owned a network of offshore companies for decades
“The files expose how some of the most powerful people in the world – including more than 330 politicians from 90 countries – use secret offshore companies to hide their wealth”, the BBC said.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE WTX NEWS WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY:
Facebook – Please like our page
Twitter – Twitter updates available in English and Arabic. Please follow us and we would love to hear from you
Instagram – Follow our pages in English and Arabic