Tuesday 2 June
- US records more than 21,100 new cases & Hong Kong ‘s new coronavirus outbreak linked to a food warehouse.
- UK: Ministers considering relaxing travel quarantine.
- Emily Maitilis back on Newsnight after Cummings row.
- Tokyo considering issuing an alert after at least 30 new cases confirmed
CNN Live Updates: US records more than 21,100 new cases & Hong Kong outbreak linked to a food warehouse
CNN says a total of 1,811,172 cases of the novel coronavirus have been reported in the US — and at least 105,167 people have died, according to Johns Hopkins University’s tally. Johns Hopkins reported 21,118 new cases and 784 deaths on Monday.
In Hong Kong a new cluster of locally transmitted coronavirus cases — the first in more than two weeks. The cluster consists of nine new cases, the city’s leader Carrie Lam said today.
Read the full story on CNN
UK: Ministers considering relaxing travel quarantine
From Monday, most people arriving by plane, ferry or train – including UK nationals – must self-isolate. But some MPs and businesses have expressed concern at the plan, warning it will damage the travel industry.
Read the full story on BBC News
Emily Maitilis back on Newsnight after Cummings row
The Guardian says Emily Maitlis returned to presenting Newsnight on Monday for the first time since the controversy over her comments on Boris Johnson’s top aide.
The presenter was found to have broken the BBC’s impartiality guidelines following her monologue on Dominic Cummings last week. In her introduction to that show, Maitlis said Cummings had “broken the rules” when he travelled from London to Durham during the lockdown and “the country can see that, and it’s shocked the government cannot”.
Read the full story on the Guardian
Tokyo considering issuing an alert after at least 30 new cases confirmed
Japan Times says the Tokyo Metropolitan Government is considering issuing an alert for Tokyo after at least 30 new coronavirus infections were confirmed in the capital Tuesday, marking the first time it reached that figure since May 14, media reports said.
The rise in infections came a day after the metropolitan government entered phase two of its three-part reopening plan to progressively lift social distancing measures and voluntary business closures.
Read the full story on Japan Times
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE WTX NEWS WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY:
Facebook – Please like our page
Twitter – Twitter updates available in English and Arabic. Please follow us and we would love to hear from you
Instagram – Follow our pages in English and Arabic
A quick look at the other top stories from around the world
George Floyd’s death homicide, official postmortem declares
BBC News says the death of George Floyd, which triggered widespread protests across the US, has been declared a homicide in an official post-mortem examination.
The 46-year-old suffered a cardiac arrest while being restrained by Minneapolis police, the report found.
It listed Mr Floyd’s cause of death as “cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression”.
UK to open ‘path to citizenship’ for Hong Kong’s UK passport holders
EuroNews says Britain vowed to extend visa rights and provide 300,000 Hong Kong British nationals (overseas) passport holders with a path to citizenship should China impose a controversial security law that would curtail freedoms in the territory.
WHO to support DRC battle Ebola as it records fresh cases
AfricaNews says the World Health Organization says it would continue to support the Democratic Republic of Congo to battle a fresh outbreak of the deadly Ebola viral disease.
On Monday, Congolese health authorities announced six cases in the north near Mbandaka in the Equateur province, with four deaths.
Kuwait extends residency permits, visa of ex-pats for three months
Arab News says Kuwait has extended the residency permits and visas of all migrants in the country for up to three months, the state news agency has reported.
The country’s interior ministry announced the new resolution that will cover visas and permits due to expire in June.
Hong Kong leader accuses US of double standards over protests response
France24 says Hong Kong’s leader accused the United States on Tuesday of applying “double standards” in its response to violent protests as she warned Washington’s plan to place trade restrictions on the financial hub would “only hurt themselves”.
Semi-autonomous Hong Kong has been rocked by months of huge and often violent pro-democracy over the past year, which riot police have stamped out with more than 9,000 arrests.