Apocalyptic food prices, soaring inflation and the cost of living crisis
What is happening?
Roe v Wade overturned – “How media frames the changes, legally and culturally it will be watched by both sides”
The shocking ruling from America’s highest court to overturn Roe v Wade – a constitutional right to an abortion in the US has sparked a variety of headlines from the media.
What are the facts?
The Bank of England governor Andrew Bailey has said there is a possibility of food price rises in the UK and it is a “major worry” for the UK and other countries.
- Bailey says the war in Ukraine was affecting food supploes.
- He defended the Bank’s performance following criticisms it have not done enough to try to reign in rising prices.
- Inflation – the rate at which prices rise – is at a 30-year high.
- He added there was a “very big income shock” from the increase in global goods prices would hit demand in the economy and push up unemployment.
- Difficulties in shipping out food supplies from Ukraine could hit world supply of wheat and cooking oil.
- Inflation hit 7% in March, and figures due out later this week are expected to show the rate climbed higher in April.
- The Bank has warned inflation could hit 10% by the autumn, well above its 2% target.
- The surge in the cost of living has led to households cutting back their spending, which is hitting growth.
- Andrew Bailey asked high-earners to not demand big pay rises.
Fox News says LEGACY MEDIA REACTION to the Supreme Court’s abortion ruling on Friday was even more predictable than the ruling itself.
CNN says MINNESOTA TO CALIFORNIA, Florida, Ohio, South Carolina, New York and many, many places in between.
The New York Times says FOR NEARLY 50 years, conservative Christians marched, strategized and prayed. And then, on an ordinary Friday morning in June, the day they had dreamed of finally came.
While the world talked about Roe v Wade, the US Supreme Court was quietly reshaping the landscape in other ways
ABC News says AFTER HALF A CENTURY, Americans’ constitutional right to get an abortion has been overturned by the Supreme Court.