Nigel Slater’s recipe for herbed potato salad, grilled prawns
- Wipe 1 kg of new potatoes and cook them for approximately 15 minutes in boiling, salted water until they are tender. Drain the potatoes in a colander and set aside.
- Finely chop 3 thin spring onions, discarding the dark green tips. Finely chop 3 tbsp of coriander leaves, and 8 leaves of Thai basil.
- Put 5 heaped tbsp of good-quality mayonnaise into a mixing bowl and stir in the chopped onions, coriander and basil. Add 3 tsp of Thai green curry paste.
- Slice the cooked new potatoes into thick coins, then toss them with the herb mayonnaise and leave for 15 minutes before serving.
- Get a griddle pan or overhead (oven) grill hot. Lightly oil 8 large prawns (or 12 smaller ones) and cook them on the griddle or under the grill for about 4 minutes on each side, until their shells darken and blister, turn them and cook the other side, then serve them, hot from the grill, with the potato salad. Serves 2.”
The best potato salads seem to be those that are dressed when the potatoes are still warm. After draining, let them sit for only 5 minutes or so before folding them through the green herb mayonnaise.
You may like to add more green curry paste to the dressing than I have suggested. Taste as you go – it’s the only way. Much, too, will depend on the heat of your spice paste. My suggestion is based on a quite vibrant version from Farang, my local Thai restaurant. The commercial ones may be a little milder. You can use a basil pesto here instead – add a good 4 tbsp to the mayonnaise above. In which case I’d include a few pine nuts, too, toasted until they are golden.
Follow Nigel on Twitter @NigelSlater
MORE NIGEL SLATER RECIPES
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE WTX NEWS WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY:
Facebook – Please like our page
Twitter – Twitter updates available in English and Arabic. Please follow us and we would love to hear from you
Instagram – Follow our pages in English and ArabicLeave a comment