US midterm elections 2022: What’s happened so far?
It’s just gone midnight on the US east coast and it’s been a real mixture of results coming in.
No seats have been flipped in the fight for the Senate just yet – here’s a reminder of the action so far.
- JD Vance survived a bruising contest in Ohio to keep the state’s Senate seat in Republican hands
- Republicans have held on for victory in unexpectedly tight races in North Carolina and Iowa
- Democrats fended off challengers in New Hampshire and Washington
Republicans remain the favourites to win the House of Representatives but control of the Senate remains too tight to call.
Developments in the governor’s races tonight
- Democrat Josh Shapiro won in Pennsylvania
- Kathy Hochul has survived a tough race in New York
- Democrats flipped Republican-held seats in Massachusetts and Maryland
- Republican Brian Kemp defeated Democratic rising star Stacey Abrams in Georgia
- And Republicans retained high profile governors’ mansions in Texas and Florida