Man dies after tripping and falling into vat of 1,440°C molten iron
The Metro says a father-of-three working at an American foundry died after falling into a vat of molten iron, a coroner has said.
Steven Dierkes, 39, from Illinois was said to have been taking a sample from the crucible, where metals are melted at over 1400C, when he tripped and fell in.
He died instantly but half of his body reportedly stayed outside of the container in full view of his horrified colleagues at Caterpillar’s Mapleton Foundry.
His family remembered him as a ‘hard-working teddy bear of a man’ who ‘absolutely adored’ his daughters, aged 12, five and four, and partner Jessica Stutter.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE WTX NEWS WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY:
Facebook – Please like our page
Twitter – Twitter updates available in English and Arabic. Please follow us and we would love to hear from you
Instagram – Follow our pages in English and Arabic