Close Menu
WTX NewsWTX News
    What's Hot

    US Energy Secretary Chris Wright indicates potential US withdrawal from IEA

    February 20, 2026

    Max Verstappen reacts to McLaren blunder ahead of F1 title decider in Abu Dhabi

    February 20, 2026

    European Commission convenes emergency meeting after Hungary, Slovakia halt diesel to Ukraine

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Latest News
    • US Energy Secretary Chris Wright indicates potential US withdrawal from IEA
    • Max Verstappen reacts to McLaren blunder ahead of F1 title decider in Abu Dhabi
    • European Commission convenes emergency meeting after Hungary, Slovakia halt diesel to Ukraine
    • Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested Amid Misconduct Allegations
    • Avalanche Tragedy: 8 Skiers Dead in Lake Tahoe Incident, Updates Here
    • European Parliament to consider minute of silence for activist Quentin Deranque
    • Mass Casualty Incident: 19 Primary School Children Injured in Germany News
    • Climber ‘Abandoned’ Girlfriend on Mountain; Similar Act with Ex Revealed
    • Memberships
    • Sign Up
    WTX NewsWTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics News
      • COVID – 19
    • World News
      • Middle East News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • African News
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefing
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Woman’s Football
    • My World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • Tv Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking Recipes
      • Luxury
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    WTX NewsWTX News
    Latest News - Africa news

    ‘We couldn’t even run’: Nigerian military drone strike kills 85 civilians ‘by mistake’

    0
    By News Desk on December 6, 2023 Africa news, News Briefing, Nigeria, World News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Danjuma Salisu, who survived the strike in a village at Tundun Biri, said residents heard the sound of an aeroplane approaching, and then a large blast.

    A Nigerian military drone strike accidentally killed 85 civilians during a Muslim religious celebration in the country on Sunday, as the country’s president called for an investigation.

    Kaduna state governor Uba Sani said they had been mistakenly killed in a drone strike “targeting terrorists and bandits”.

    Dozens were also hospitalised.

    Danjuma Salisu, who survived the strike in a village at Tundun Biri, said residents heard the sound of an aeroplane approaching, and then a large blast.

    Speaking from his hospital bed, where he was receiving treatment for hand and leg injuries, he said: “We couldn’t even run. It was a loud bang that left over 80 people dead and many of us injured.”

    The country’s forces frequently target the hideouts of Boko Haram jihadists and militants in the north of the country with aerial bombardment.

    The army said it had been carrying out “a routine mission against terrorists but inadvertently affected members of the community”, but did not address how the incident occurred or how many were killed.

    The Nigerian air force said in a statement it did not carry out any operations in Kaduna on Sunday night but that it is not the only one “operating combat armed drones” in the region.

    The Kaduna State Emergency Management Agency said today that at least 85 people had lost their lives in the strike, providing the first official confirmation of the toll.

    “The Northwest Zonal Office has received details from the local authorities that 85 dead bodies have so far been buried while search is still ongoing,” the agency said.

    On Tuesday, Nigeria’s president Bola Tinubu ordered a thorough investigation into the incident.

    Tinubu, who is at the Cop28 Climate Summit in Dubai, described the incident as “very unfortunate, disturbing, and painful”, his spokesman Ajuri Ngelale said in a statement.

    He added that the President has ordered an investigation into what happened.

    A man who witnessed the incident, told the BBC that two bombs were dropped.

    “The aircraft dropped a bomb at the venue, it destroyed and killed our people including women and children,” he told the outlet.

    “The second bomb was dropped on some of us who went to bring dead bodies of the victims of the first blast. We lost about 34 people in my family and we have 66 injured people in the hospital.”

    Army officials and representatives from the Kaduna state government have met with village elders, and promised that those affected by the tragedy would be compensated.


    MORE : UK News Today: New Rwanda plan & England heartbreak


    MORE : Paper Talk: PM preparing to ‘swerve’ Euro rules on Rwanda

    drone strike featured Nigeria news Nigerian military terrorism World News
    Previous ArticleKim Jong-Un cries as he desperately calls on women to have more children
    Next Article I tried No 7’s damage-reversal range for six months to see if it really works wonders

    Keep Reading

    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested Amid Misconduct Allegations

    Avalanche Tragedy: 8 Skiers Dead in Lake Tahoe Incident, Updates Here

    Mass Casualty Incident: 19 Primary School Children Injured in Germany News

    Climber ‘Abandoned’ Girlfriend on Mountain; Similar Act with Ex Revealed

    Life in Iran’s Evin Prison: British Couple’s 10-Year Ordeal Exposed

    Taliban Permits Men to Hit Wives Without Causing Bruises or Broken Bones

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    From our sponsors
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    Friday’s News Briefing – Chaos in Westminster – More dead in Gaza and the weekend preview

    February 24, 2024

    Queen Elizabeth the Last! Monarchy Faces Fresh Demand to be Axed

    January 20, 2021

    To understand the new smart watched and other pro devices

    January 15, 2021

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest news from WTX News Summarised in your inbox; News for busy people.

    My World News

    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 WTX News.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.