NZ abandon Pakistan tour after ‘government security alert’ 

NZ abandon Pakistan tour after ‘government security alert’ 

New Zealand Cricket team abandon Pakistan tour after ‘government security alert’ 

New Zealand has abandoned their tour of Pakistan after it was announced there had been a New Zealand government “security alert.” 

They were due to play Pakistan in the first of three one-day internationals in Rawalpindi on Friday before moving to Lahore for a five-match Twenty20 series. 

The decision to drop the tour came after “an escalation in the New Zealand government threat levels for Pakistan.” 

New Zealand Cricket (NZC) has refused to comment on the details of the security threat and plans are being made for the team to return home. 

“I understand this will be a blow for the PCB (Pakistan Cricket Board), who have been wonderful hosts, but player safety is paramount and we believe this is the only responsible option,” said NZC chief executive David White.

In a statement, the PCB said that Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan – a former Pakistan cricket captain – had spoken to his New Zealand counterpart Jacinda Ardern and told her that “no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team”.

“Earlier today, New Zealand Cricket informed us they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series,” the statement said.

“Pakistan Cricket Board and the Pakistan government made fool-proof security arrangements for all visiting teams. We have assured New Zealand Cricket of the same.

“The Pakistan Prime Minister spoke personally to the Prime Minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team.

“The security officials with the New Zealand team have been satisfied with security arrangements made by the Pakistan government throughout their stay here.

“PCB is willing to continue the scheduled matches. However, cricket lovers in Pakistan and around the world will be disappointed by this last-minute withdrawal.”


Emma Raducanu says ‘something was off’ before US Open win and injury still not healed

Gareth Southgate says his England team setup urgently needs more women

……………………

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE WTX NEWS WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY:

FacebookPlease like our page

Twitter Twitter updates available in English and Arabic. Please follow us and we would love to hear from you

Instagram – Follow our pages in English and Arabic

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.