- Army Secretary Dan Driscoll reportedly considering resignation by year-end
- Eight people confirmed dead following plane crash near radar site in Alaska
- Friedrich Merz visits Hürtgenwald to thank emergency services after fire
- Premier League & more — Sunday’s 23rd Aug fixtures
- Iran warns neighbours against joining US economic efforts, declares retaliation possible
- Carney criticises Canada for ‘walking away from a bad deal’ amid 50% tariffs
- Nancy Kassebaum Baker, former Kansas senator, passes away at 94
- Father scolded after leaving seven-year-old son alone on Mount Fuji
Hunt for Tube hero who gave blind man his shoes after he lost one through the gap The hunt is on find an ‘absolute hero’
Get you up to speed: Army Secretary Dan Driscoll considering stepping down, sources say
U.S. Army Secretary Dan Driscoll is considering resigning by the year’s end amid tensions with Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth. The confirmation of this potential step down follows recent friction over leadership decisions, including the ousting of Gen. Randy George as Army chief of staff.
U.S. Army Secretary Dan Driscoll has been in his post since February 2025. The decision to phase out the Unmanned Assault Battalion follows tensions between proponents of the unit and acting Army chief of staff Gen. Christopher LaNeve.
U.S. Army Secretary Dan Driscoll is reportedly contemplating resignation by year-end due to ongoing tensions with Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, following the ousting of Gen. Randy George. The Army is also strategically phasing out the Unmanned Assault Battalion, a decision tied to conflicts among senior officers regarding drone warfare initiatives.
What remains unclear — It is unknown if U.S. Army Secretary Dan Driscoll has officially decided to step down or will remain in his position beyond the end of the year.
Army Secretary Dan Driscoll reportedly considering resignation by year-end
U.S. Army Secretary Dan Driscoll is considering stepping down from his post by the end of the year, two people familiar with the matter told WTX US News Saturday.
The news was first reported by the Wall Street Journal. A Pentagon spokesperson directed WTX US News to the Army for comment, and WTX US News has reached out to the Army.
The possibility of Driscoll stepping down follows months of behind-the-scenes friction between him and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth.
Hegseth in early April ousted Gen. Randy George as Army chief of staff, a close friend of Driscoll, with Hegseth asking George to step down and take early retirement.
At the time, WTX US News reported that George sent an outgoing email to Driscoll and other staff members in which he wrote that U.S. service members deserved “courageous leaders of character.”
It also comes after WTX US News reported earlier this week that the Army was planning to phase out a drone battalion tasked with studying and taking on board lessons on drone warfare, including from the war in Ukraine.
That drone unit, known as the Unmanned Assault Battalion, was formed just last year by George and former commander of the U.S. Army Europe and Africa, Gen. Christopher Donahue.
Multiple current and former U.S. officials told WTX US News the decision to end it came amid tension between the senior officers who championed the battalion and Gen. Christopher LaNeve, who has served in the role of acting Army chief of staff since George’s departure.
President Trump has not yet nominated a replacement for George.
Last year, Driscoll and George also jointly rolled out what they called the Army Transformation Initiative, which emphasized unmanned systems.
“I don’t think I’ve talked to a single person who has said we shouldn’t be learning from what’s occurring in Ukraine,” Driscoll said in a November interview on “Face the Nation with Margaret Brennan.”
The 39-year-old Driscoll has served in the position since he was confirmed by the Senate in February 2025.
A close friend and former adviser to Vice President JD Vance, Driscoll was an Army officer for four years, during which he deployed to Iraq in 2009, according to his Army biography.
He left active duty in 2011 and went on to earn his law degree from Yale University, after which he worked in private equity and venture capital.
Zak Hudak
contributed to this report.
In:
‘Cheer up, you caught the bad guy,’ says killer Virginia McCullough as she is arrested for murdering her parents
A woman who murdered her parents “in cold blood” before hiding them in makeshift tombs for four years told officers to “cheer up, you caught the bad guy” as she was arrested in her home.
Virginia McCullough, 36, poisoned her father John McCullough, 70, with prescription medication and fatally stabbed her mother Lois McCullough, 71, shortly afterwards in 2019.
She ran up large debts on credit cards in her parents’ names and after their deaths, she continued to spend their pensions until she was finally caught in 2023.
In body-worn video footage released by police, a handcuffed – and eerily calm – McCullough told officers: “I did know that this would kind of come eventually.
“It’s proper that I serve my punishment.”
She said she had slipped something into her father’s drink then put his body under a bed on the ground floor, and put her mother’s body in an upstairs wardrobe.
McCullough, having been arrested on suspicion of double murder, told an officer: “Cheer up, at least you’ve caught the bad guy.”
She added: “I know I don’t seem 100% evil.”
At the police station, she told officers where a kitchen knife was, which she described as a “murder weapon”, and a hammer which she said “will still have blood on it”.
McCullough, of Pump Hill, Chelmsford, Essex, was sentenced to life imprisonment on Friday with a minimum term of 36 years at Chelmsford Crown Court, after she admitted to their murders between 17 and 20 June 2019 at an earlier hearing at the same court.
Chelmsford Crown Court heard how she hid their bodies in makeshift tombs at the family home in Great Baddow in Essex, then told persistent lies to cover her tracks.
The court heard she cancelled family arrangements and frequently told doctors and relatives her parents were unwell, on holiday or away on lengthy trips.
But concerns over Mr and Mrs McCullough’s welfare were raised in September 2023 by a GP at their registered practice, and Essex County Council’s safeguarding team referred these to police.
The GP had not seen the couple for some time and said Mr McCullough had failed to collect medication and attend scheduled appointments. It was found McCullough had frequently cancelled appointments, using a range of excuses to explain her father’s absence.
Police said a missing persons investigation was initially launched and McCullough lied to officers, claiming her parents were travelling and would be returning in October.
It became a murder investigation, and when officers forced entry to the house in Pump Hill on September 15 2023, McCullough confessed that her parents’ bodies were in the house and that she had killed them.
Nicola Rice, a specialist prosecutor for the Crown Prosecution Service, said: “McCullough callously and viciously killed both of her parents before concealing their bodies in makeshift tombs within their home address.
“She spent the next four years manipulating and lying to family members, medical staff, financial institutions, and the police, spending her parents’ money and accruing large debts in their name.”
She added: “This was a truly disturbing case, which has left behind it a trail of devastation, and I can only hope that the sentence passed today will help those who loved and cared for Lois and John begin to heal.”
G20 waters down support for Ukraine amid pressure for peace talks
FT.com Tweet
The Tech Titan Who Led His Company From a 68-Square-Foot Jail Cell
WSJ Business Tweet
Defense alliance NATO chief Mark Rutte has met US President-elect Donald Trump to discuss global security issues, according to a NATO spokesperson.
The meeting took place in Palm Beach, Florida.
During his first term as US president, 2017-2020, Trump pushed for European NATO countries to spend more on defense and described the alliance’s cost-sharing as unfair to the US.
Rutte took over as NATO chief from Norwegian Jens Stoltenberg in November.
Before taking office in January, Trump has nominated Pete Hegseth for the post of defense secretary, which has raised eyebrows among many allies.
Hegseth, 44, has served as an infantry captain in Iraq and Afghanistan, but has no senior military or government officer experience.
Multiple missiles were fired in an airstrike towards a densely populated part of Lebanon’s capital early on Saturday.
The huge airstrike targeted Beirut’s Basta neighbourhood, and no prior warnings were given by the Israeli military. The largely residential area was struck last month.
At least one violent explosion was heard across the city, Reuters witnesses said, and plumes of smoke could be seen. Scenes of massive destruction at the site were shared online, including a massive crater in the ground.
“Beirut, the capital, woke up to a horrific massacre, as the Israeli enemy’s air force completely destroyed an eight-story residential building with five missiles on Al-Mamoun Street in Basta,” the state-run National News Agency reported.
The health ministry put the initial death toll at four, with 23 wounded. The number is expected to climb in the coming hours as search and rescue efforts continue.
It came after a long day of Israeli airstrikes on Beirut’s southern suburbs, which have been non-stop since last week.
The cross-border fighting between Israel and the Iran-backed Hezbollah militant group escalated into a full-blown war in mid-September.
Israel has bombed southern Lebanon, Beirut’s southern suburbs and the eastern Beqaa region, and has sent ground troops across the border. Hezbollah has continued to fire rockets deeper into Israel.
What to Watch
Amazon prime - TV & Netflix
What to Watch
Love Sports
- Good News
- Readers Digest
Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

