US official says there was an 'indirect fire attack' against troops in eastern Syria

US official says there was an 'indirect fire attack' against troops in eastern Syria

US forces in eastern Syria took indirect fire on Saturday but initial reports did not indicate any casualties or damage, a US defense official told Reuters.

 

The incident was the latest in a series of recent attacks against US soldiers in Iraq and Syria.
The assault occurred in Conoco, Syria, according to the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

On Wednesday alone, three rocket and drone attacks targeted US diplomats and troops in Iraq and Syria, with at least 14 rockets hitting an Iraqi air base housing US forces, wounded two American service members.
While there have not been immediate claims of responsibility for the attacks, analysts believed they were part of a campaign by Iranian-backed militias.

After US strikes on the Iraqi-Syrian border killed four of their members last month, Iraqi militia groups aligned with Iran have vowed to retaliate.

Iran has denied supporting attacks on US forces in Iraq and Syria and condemned US air strikes on Iranian-backed groups.
The US has been holding indirect talks with Iran aimed at bringing both nations back into compliance with the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, which was abandoned by the Trump administration. No date has been set for a next round of the talks, which adjourned on June 20.

……………………

At least four killed in explosion at sports venue in Sudan’s port city

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE WTX NEWS WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY:

FacebookPlease like our page

Twitter Twitter updates available in English and Arabic. Please follow us and we would love to hear from you

Instagram – Follow our pages in English and Arabic

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.