Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle by mutual consent
Manager Steve Bruce has left Newcastle United by mutual consent just 13 days after the Saudi Arabia-backed £305m takeover of the club was completed.
The 60-year-old took charge of his 1,000th match as a manager in Sunday’s 3-2 defeat by Tottenham – his only game as Magpies boss under the new owners.
Bruce said there had been “highs and lows” and that he hoped the new owners could “take the club forward”.
Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle United after a torrid 13 days
The treatment of steve bruce by the new Newcastle owners has been dreadful. He has had to endure the media speculation whilst trying to motivate a sub par team. He has been a victim of Mike Ashley’s reign at Newcastle.
It has dragged on for longer than the new owners wanted and what Bruce wanted himself. It’s important to say that in the club statement they said it was mutual consent so Bruce wanted to go as well.
He’d had enough as it had got very difficult for him emotionally. He knew he was going anyway and I think he’s pleased that he’s been put out of his misery.
Steve Bruce is considering retirement as he leaves Newcastle 13 days after the club’s takeover by a Saudi-led consortium; former Roma boss Paulo Fonseca is a contender to replace Bruce and is expected to hold talks with Newcastle this week.
Sky Sports pundit Jamie Redknapp said Bruce looked like someone who would welcome being relieved of his duties.
“My feeling when I look at him is that he’d almost like to be put out of his misery as well,” said Redknapp. “He looks like a man who has done as much as he can, and he is a symbol of the previous regime.
Graeme Jones will take interim charge of the Premier League side.
Newcastle said the appointment of a new manager “will be announced in due course”.
Bruce is understood to have received in the region of £8m after his contract was paid up in full.