Glenn Maxwell will miss Australia’s World Cup match against England (Picture: Getty)
Australia all-rounder Glenn Maxwell has been ruled out of his side’s World Cup match against England after falling off a golf cart and sustaining a concussion.
Maxwell, who hit a tournament record 40-ball century against the Netherlands last week and also offers a handy second spin option, will miss Saturday’s clash in Ahmedabad after a bizarre sequence of events.
Maxwell had finished a round at Gujarat’s Kalhaar Blues and Greens club on Monday evening and was riding on the back of a cart with team-mates when he lost his grip, fell and hit his head.
Head coach Andrew McDonald told cricket.com.au: “In transporting him back from the clubhouse to the team bus, Glenn Maxwell came off the back of a car and has suffered a small concussion.
‘He’ll go into six to eight days concussion protocol, so they said that takes into account the England game. It was just a clearcut accident. He’s an important player for us, hopefully it’s just the one game he misses.
Marcus Stoinis is likely to deputise for Glenn Maxwell (Picture: Getty)
‘The guys were ferried off on carts. Glenn and a few other players jumped on the back of carts and unfortunately he lost his grip on the way back to the team bus and sustained that injury.
‘Over the last couple of days he’s been assessed. We feel as though it’ll be a relatively straightforward return to play protocol with where he’s at at the moment.’
England’s Jonny Bairstow missed 10 months of cricket after badly breaking his leg playing golf near Harrogate in August 2022, while Maxwell also suffered an unlikely injury last November when breaking his leg at a birthday party in Melbourne.
Australia have two all-round options available to step in for Maxwell, with Cameron Green and Marcus Stoinis vying for a spot.
MORE : Dazed and confused England hit by contagion of calamity at Cricket World Cup
MORE : Patience needed as casino cricket leaves Jos Buttler’s England contemplating World Cup ruin
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Ryder Cup 2023: Europe make perfect start against USA on day one The Guardian says That’s the first time Europe have whitewashed – bluewashed? -…
Jon Rahm and Tyrrell Hatton bring ‘fire’ to Europe’s Ryder Cup bid The Independent says The raucous first tee at the Ryder Cup provides the…
Ryder Cup 2023 foursomes: Europe and US reveal opening pairings in Rome BBC Sport says Ludvig Aberg has been thrust straight into Ryder Cup action…
Ryder Cup: Europe favourites to beat USA in Rome Sky News says Ryder Cup legend, and six-time major winner, Nick Faldo is giving the Europeans…
Patrick Reed sees $750m defamation lawsuits against media dismissed BBC Sport says Patrick Reed has seen his $750m (£618m) defamation lawsuits against golf reporters and…
Ryder Cup 2023: Europe take on United States in Rome in 44th edition of biennial event BBC Sport says A shot at redemption. A 30-year…
‘It’s a hell of a lot better than last season, anything’s better than last season.’
He weathered the storm.
Time to back Fleetwood and Scheffler.
Stephen Aylen has taken a swing at Southend-on-Sea city council.
Spain. Golf. Man City. In that order?
Frodsham golf course joins growing number of sites being put to new, more community friendly use It was once an immaculate golf course where footballers…
Chairman Fred Ridley yesterday confirmed the Saudi-funded breakaway group can play next year.
VOA says a new era of American golfers sent a message Sunday with a record-setting Ryder Cup blowout of Europe.
Copyright WTX News 2024
Login below or Register Now.
Already registered? Login.