US child dies from fentanyl kept under nursery nap mat
Nicholas Dominici, a one-year-old baby boy, died of a suspected drug overdose on Friday, with several other children from his NYC nursery taken to hospital.
Police have confirmed a kilogram of fentanyl was found under a nap mat at a daycare centre in the Bronx, New York City.
Three other children were taken to hospital after being exposed to the narcotic at the daycare centre.
Police believe the children inhaled fentanyl at the nursery. The children range in age from eight months to two years.
Three children were given an emergency medication used to reverse opioid overdoses.
During a search where they found drugs under a sleeping mat, the investigators also say they found three presses used to package kilos of drugs.
The amount of rugs recovered from the nursery could have killed 500,000 people, police say.
The owner of the Divino Niño nursery in the Bronx, Grei Mendez, 36, and her tenant, Carlisto Acevedo Brito, 41, are facing charges of Drug conspiracy and murder charges.
Police allege the two were running a drug operation from a daycare centre.