Close Menu
WTX NewsWTX News
    What's Hot

    EU Commission announces revival of EPSO exam for EU administration roles

    February 16, 2026

    Amazon driver leaves van after navigating ‘UK’s most treacherous route’ to Foulness Island

    February 16, 2026

    US Secretary of State Marco Rubio meets Slovakia’s Prime Minister Fico

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Latest News
    • EU Commission announces revival of EPSO exam for EU administration roles
    • Amazon driver leaves van after navigating ‘UK’s most treacherous route’ to Foulness Island
    • US Secretary of State Marco Rubio meets Slovakia’s Prime Minister Fico
    • Authorities Investigate DNA Evidence in Disappearance of Nancy Guthrie
    • Rubio Calls for European Unity at Munich Security Conference
    • US Secretary of State Rubio urges Europe to reduce dependence on Washington
    • Lando Norris beats Max Verstappen to win F1 title at thrilling Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
    • Former Liverpool star admits he ‘didn’t like’ Raheem Sterling
    • Memberships
    • Sign Up
    WTX NewsWTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics News
      • COVID – 19
    • World News
      • Middle East News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • African News
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefing
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Woman’s Football
    • My World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • Tv Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking Recipes
      • Luxury
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    WTX NewsWTX News
    Latest News - Brexit

    Post-Brexit border control post in Wales to sit empty

    0
    By News Desk on June 24, 2025 Brexit, UK News, UK Politics, Wales
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Cliff Notes

    • The £51 million border control post at Parc Cybi in Holyhead will remain unused as the UK negotiates exemptions from import checks with the EU.
    • The facility is nearly completed, funded primarily by the UK government, but staffing and commissioning have been halted until final agreements are reached.
    • Wales’s deputy first minister emphasised the need for biosecurity measures during the interim period, with no timeline for SPS checks from Ireland currently established.

    Post-Brexit border control post in Wales to sit empty | UK News

    A £51m border control post built to handle post-Brexit checks on imports will sit empty for now, Wales’s deputy first minister said.

    Huw Irranca-Davies said the facility at Parc Cybi near the port of Holyhead in Anglesey was commissioned last year to follow the post-Brexit requirements of border controls on imports, including live animals and goods such as food, from the EU.

    The facility received £44m in funding from the UK government, and the border control post (BCP) is now nearing completion. It is set to be handed over to the Welsh government in the autumn.

    But the post will sit empty for now following an announcement by the UK government that it was set to negotiate with the EU to exempt many imports of live animals and goods from sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) checks at the border, according to Mr Irranca-Davies.

    UK-EU trade deal: What is in the Brexit reset agreement?

    He said the Welsh government was committed to “ensuring an acceptable level of biosecurity protection over the interim period whilst the agreement is negotiated and implemented”.

    Although physical and identity checks on imports from the EU began in April 2024, Mr Irranca-Davies highlighted that no start date for SPS checks on imports from Ireland has been announced.

    “I have decided not to proceed with the final commissioning and staffing of the Holyhead BCP, and not to take forward construction of BCPs at Fishguard and Pembroke Dock,” Wales’s deputy first minister said in a statement.

    Mr Irranca-Davies added that he will “keep that decision under review until the final details of the agreement with the EU are known”, at which point longer-term plans for the site would be made.

    “In the meantime, it is crucial that it remains ready and available as a potential BCP facility,” he said.

    Holyhead is the busiest ferry port on the Irish Sea, with over three-quarters of imports to Great Britain from Ireland.

    Mr Irranca-Davies said the Welsh government remains committed to providing sufficient notice for traders and delivery partners “should any new border checks need to be introduced”.


    Sources

    Post-Brexit border control post in Wales to sit empty – Sky News

    Holyhead border control post to sit empty despite Brexit investment – BBC

    Post-Brexit border control post to sit empty – MSN

    featured Latest News Wales featured
    Previous ArticleWhat our F1 writers are looking forward to at the Austrian Grand Prix
    Next Article ITV viewers ‘love’ new LGBTQ+ sitcom with all 6 episodes free to binge

    Keep Reading

    Amazon driver leaves van after navigating ‘UK’s most treacherous route’ to Foulness Island

    Dad Spotted Removing Armpit Hair for Free Meal Surprise in Sydney | News World

    Coach passenger ‘stabbed in shoulder’ on M6 close to Cannock | UK News

    Deep Blue Hole Discovered: Scientists Struggle to Reach the Bottom | World News

    Russian Lab Linked to Novichok Also Developed Dart Frog Toxin, Report Reveals

    Over 60 Children in London Infected with Rapidly Spreading Measles

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    From our sponsors
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    Friday’s News Briefing – Chaos in Westminster – More dead in Gaza and the weekend preview

    February 24, 2024

    Queen Elizabeth the Last! Monarchy Faces Fresh Demand to be Axed

    January 20, 2021

    Marquez Explains Lack of Confidence During Qatar GP Race

    January 15, 2021

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest news from WTX News Summarised in your inbox; News for busy people.

    My World News

    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 WTX News.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.