Jadon Sancho faces an uncertain future at Manchester United(Photo by Rob Newell – CameraSport via Getty Images)
Asked why Sancho was not part of the matchday squad for the trip to the Emirates, Ten Hag said the Englishman’s performances in training in the week were not up to scratch.
Sancho took umbrage with those comments, and he took to Twitter to deny the accusations.
The 23-year-old said the claims were ‘completely untrue’ and that he had been used as a ‘scapegoat’ for too long.
Sancho and Ten Hag are on unstable ground (Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)
Sancho and Ten Hag are yet to hold face-to-face talks, and the Dutchman was made aware of the midfielder’s comments as United made their way back up north on Sunday night.
Ten Hag is disappointed in Sancho’s comments, particulary as he feels he helped to protect the midfielder last season.
Sancho was given three months away from the club between December and March to get himself ‘physically and mentally’ right.
The midfielder spent a portion of that time in the Netherlands, working with a fitness coach.
Though Ten Hag did not explicitly say the decision was for Sancho’s mental health, it was confirmed he was not injured.
However, the Daily Mail say United were not cleared to go ‘public’ with any confirmation that the move was for Sancho’s mental wellbeing.
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
The saga rumbles on…