Wednesday’s news headlines are dominated – in print and online – by one story and one story only. The US is set to unveil its newest tariffs, which are expected to hit every country with what the US media is reporting to be a blanket 20% tariff on all non-American goods. The headlines range from the stock markets, the UK’s attempts for a last-minute exemption, and how the tariffs threaten to unbalance the books for Chancellor Rachel Reeves.
Beyond the tariffs, there are a handful of other stories dominating the UK news including an armed man being shot dead at Milton Keynes station, the ongoing row between Prince Harry and the charity he founded, and news that 23 more women have made allegations against serial rapist Zhenhao Zou.
World waits Trump tariffs – UK told to prepare for the worst – Man shot dead at station





Trump tariffs today
Will a blanket 20% tariff be announced today? The media reacts to the upcoming announcements and how they could impact the UK economy.
- The Daily Mirror says the UK is “braced for new wave of tariffs today.” The paper says the president has trailed the measures for weeks, initially suggesting the tariffs would match whatever levies other countries impose, but as the deadline nears, US media say it could be a blanket 20% tariff on all non-American goods.
- The Daily Teleraph reports it’s now down to the “11th hour” for PM Keir Starmer to “halt the trade war” with the US president. It’s unclear how the UK will be hit by the taxes on goods, but the paper says No 10 has concessions prepared “to spare us the worst of ‘Liberation Day’ tariffs.”
- The Daily Mail warns the tariffs could “wipe out” Chancellor Rachel Reeves’s attempts to balance the books, just a week after she announced a series of cuts.
- The FT looks at investors and says they are “flocking to gold as fears mount on eve of Trump tariff announcement.” The paper says that Chinese demand is fuelling a “bonanza” for local car maker BYD.
- The Scotsman says experts have warned that Scotland’s economy faces a “turbulent and uncertain” future ahead of the impact of tariffs unleashed by the US.
- The i newspaper leads with a warning from Foreign Secretary David Lammy, who told Parliament that Britain must “prepare for the worst” ahead of Trump’s “Liberation Day.” The paper says that farming and gene-edited crops are now part of tariff talks.
- The Guardian says big tech and big taxes the UK imposes on those firms seem to be another level that PM Starmer is willing to enter in order to pave a more favourable path in the global trade war.
- The Times says firms are bracing for the impact of Trump tariffs as the prime minister pins its hopes on a US deal – vowing not to retaliate.
Labour’s welfare reform
Chancellor Rachel Reeves is back in the headlines after an impact assessment revealed the chancellor’s welfare overhaul – aimed to get more people back in work – could see even more people signed off.
- The Times says Labour’s welfare reforms will result in 400,000 more people signed off unfit for any work, the government’s own impact assessment shows.
- The National Scot says Labour Chancellor Rachel Reeves has throttled Scotland’s economic growth, according to new expert analysis. The tax hikes would mean fewer job opportunities and spending cuts mean Holyrood’s budget is due to be £900 million less in five years’ time.
- Daily Mail reports the overhaul aimed to get the “long-term sick back into work” will see more people signed off. The paper describes the overhaul as “controversial.”
Twenty-three more women make allegations against serial rapist
More women have come forward to the UK police with allegations against serial rapist – Zhenhao Zou – a Chinese PhD student found guilty in London last month of drugging and raping 10 women across two continents.
- Metro reports more than 20 women have come forward after police launched an international appeal for potential victims of one of the UK’s worst serial rapists. Zhenhao Zou, 28, was found guilty last month of drugging, raping and filming 10 women – but detectives said he may have attacked up to 60 more.
- BBC News notes that at the end of his trial, cops said they had video evidence, filmed by Zou himself, of potentially 50 more victims – and they have been trying to trace these women.
Man shot dead at Milton Keynes Station
Thames Valley Police shot dead a man carrying a knife at the busy Milton Keynes train station yesterday. Earlier reports suggested he had a firearm, but it was later confirmed he was carrying a knife. Police confirmed the man was white and was challenged by officers before being shot dead.
- The Independent reports that armed officers were called after reports of a man carrying a firearm at the busy transport hub. The officers challenged the man before firing multiple shots.
- The Daily Mail says following the incident, locals have said the area feels more unsafe than ever before. The paper notes the man was white and was carrying a knife.
- Local paper Bucks Free Press noted that the station remained open despite the earlier shooting.