Close Menu
WTX NewsWTX News
    What's Hot

    Parliament to vote on VAT increase to fund army’s defence spending

    August 19, 2026

    Forcible military recruitment in Ukraine leads to violence and abuse concerns

    August 19, 2026

    Exploration in Saskatchewan’s Uranium City offers prospects for residents

    August 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Latest News
    • Parliament to vote on VAT increase to fund army’s defence spending
    • Forcible military recruitment in Ukraine leads to violence and abuse concerns
    • Exploration in Saskatchewan’s Uranium City offers prospects for residents
    • Dan Sullivan and Mary Peltola advance to general election in Alaska Senate primary
    • Boy, 13, saves newborn brother from choking at family home in London
    • Pilot tests positive for cannabis following mid-air plunge injuring 17
    • Taktisch wählen initiative urges voters in Saxony-Anhalt to back SPD, Greens
    • US inflation rate drops to lowest level in over two years
    • Memberships
    • Sign Up
    WTX NewsWTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics News
      • Business News
      • Tech News
      • COVID – 19
    • World News
      • Middle East News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • African News
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefing
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Woman’s Football
    • My World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • Tv Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking Recipes
      • Luxury
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    WTX NewsWTX News
    Latest News - News Briefing

    Woman, 81, in coma after being hit by Duchess of Edinburgh’s police escort

    0
    By News Desk on May 13, 2023 News Briefing, UK News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Police at the scene of the accident, where Helen Holland, inset, was hit by a royal motorcade (Credits: Jamie Lorriman)

    An elderly woman who was hit by a police motorbike escorting the Duchess of Edinburgh is in a coma, her family has said.

    Helen Holland, from Birchanger in Essex, was struck by Sophie’s motorcade shortly before 3.30pm on Wednesday in Earls Court, west London.

    The 81-year-old was rushed to hospital in a critical condition and her family have said she is now in a coma.

    Son Martin and daughter-in-law Lisa-Marie Holland told the BBC they were ‘shocked and sickened at her extensive injuries’.

    ‘She is being well cared for by the NHS who we must thank deeply for their help in keeping her alive,’ they told the broadcaster.

    The report stated they are ‘calling for a thorough investigation’.

    Ms Holland had been visiting her sister when the accident happened on the corner of Cromwell Road and Warwick Road.

    Buckingham Palace said Sophie’s ‘heartfelt thoughts and prayers’ were with Helen Holland. (Picture: Getty Images Europe)

    On Thursday, Buckingham Palace said Sophie is ‘grateful for the swift response by the emergency services’, adding that she will ‘keep abreast of developments’.

    In a statement, the palace said: ‘The duchess’s heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with the injured lady and her family.

    ‘She is grateful for the swift response by the emergency services and will keep abreast of developments.

    ‘Further comment at this time would not be appropriate while the incident is being investigated.’

    Martin Hennessy, 62, who lives close to the scene of the accident and came out shortly after to walk his dogs said it looked as if Ms Holland ‘thrown across the road’.

    Helen Holland was visiting her sister in London when she was struck (Picture: family handout)

    He said the council had been warned the junction was dangerous and people had died there because pedestrians were forced into the road to check for traffic.

    ‘She’s lucky to be alive at all,’ he told The Mirror. ‘The road is a nightmare. We’ve warned the council about it. There have been three people killed here.’

    The Metropolitan Police confirmed a pedestrian was taken to hospital and that she remains in a critical condition.

    On Wednesday evening, police said no other injuries were reported and inquiries into the crash were ongoing.

    The force said the Directorate of Professional Standards, which investigates officers’ conduct, has been informed as is routine.

    Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].

    For more stories like this, check our news page.

    The 81-year-old’s family said they were ‘shocked and sickened at her extensive injuries’. 

    The Metro
    Previous ArticleKelly Clarkson addresses allegations of toxic work environment on talk show leaving staffers ‘traumatised’ and vomiting 
    Next Article Lonely dog in search for new home after waiting nearly 500 days in charity care

    Keep Reading

    Boy, 13, saves newborn brother from choking at family home in London

    Trump Administration Moves to Open Millions of Acres for Logging in Forests

    Trump calls for reduction of US-South Korea military drills

    Andrew declines King Charles’s Balmoral holiday invitation over concerns of being isolated

    Trump threatens to bomb Oman amid tensions following Iran deal expiration

    Trump Reduces Military Exercises with South Korea Amid North Korea Dialogue

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    From our sponsors
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    Boy, 13, saves newborn brother from choking at family home in London

    August 19, 2026

    Trump Administration Moves to Open Millions of Acres for Logging in Forests

    August 18, 2026

    Trump calls for reduction of US-South Korea military drills

    August 18, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest news from WTX News Summarised in your inbox; News for busy people.

    My World News

    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    WTX News - Latest Global news and analysis and Breaking news with Exclusive News Briefings
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 WTX News.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.