Close Menu
WTX NewsWTX News
    What's Hot

    Tennessee judge dismisses federal human smuggling charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia

    May 23, 2026

    Couple arrested for allegedly abandoning young children in Portuguese forest

    May 23, 2026

    Zelenskyy advocates for full EU membership amid associate status proposal

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Latest News
    • Tennessee judge dismisses federal human smuggling charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia
    • Couple arrested for allegedly abandoning young children in Portuguese forest
    • Zelenskyy advocates for full EU membership amid associate status proposal
    • Trump indicates U.S. and Iran are nearing agreement on nuclear negotiations
    • Mayor faces backlash after using Taser on adviser during demonstration
    • Italy battles illegal waste dumping crisis in Terra dei Fuochi area
    • Ted Cruz reports ‘full-on revolt’ during meeting on anti-weaponisation fund
    • Man shot by police after car allegedly driven at officers during pursuit
    • Memberships
    • Sign Up
    WTX NewsWTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics News
      • Business News
      • Tech News
      • COVID – 19
    • World News
      • Middle East News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • African News
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefing
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Woman’s Football
    • My World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • Tv Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking Recipes
      • Luxury
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    WTX NewsWTX News
    Latest News - News Briefing

    Transport Secretary ‘pleaded guilty’ over work phone incident

    0
    By News Desk on November 29, 2024 News Briefing, Politics, UK News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Transport Secretary Louise Haigh has admitted she pleaded guilty after she incorrectly told police that a work mobile phone was stolen in 2013.

    Sky News and the Times newspaper reported on Thursday evening that Ms Haigh admitted an offence in 2014 following the incident. She had reported to police the device was stolen when she was “mugged” in 2013.

    In a statement, Ms Haigh has said she discovered “some time later” that the phone had not been taken.

    She said the matter was a “genuine mistake” from which she “did not make any gain”, and that magistrates gave her the “lowest possible outcome”.

    Sir Keir Starmer with Louise Haigh
    Sir Keir Starmer with Louise Haigh (Owen Humphreys/PA)

    The Transport Secretary said in her statement: “In 2013 I was mugged while on a night out. I was a young woman and the experience was terrifying.

    “I reported it to the police and gave them a list of what I believed had been taken – including a work mobile phone that had been issued by my employer.

    “Some time later I discovered that the mobile in question had not been taken. In the interim I had been issued with another work phone.

    “The original work device being switched on triggered police attention and I was asked to come in for questioning. My solicitor advised me not to comment during that interview and I regret following that advice.

    “The police referred the matter to the CPS and I appeared before Southwark magistrates. Under the advice of my solicitor I pleaded guilty – despite the fact this was a genuine mistake from which I did not make any gain.

    “The magistrates accepted all of these arguments and gave me the lowest possible outcome (a discharge) available.”

    Ms Haigh has been Sheffield Heeley MP since 2015 and held a number of shadow ministerial and shadow cabinet roles before becoming Transport Secretary when Labour won the election in July. Before she entered politics she spent time as a special constable.

    It is understood that it was a fraud offence and the incident was disclosed in full to Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer when she joined the shadow cabinet. The conviction is now spent.

    The chair of the Conservative Party said the Prime Minister has “serious questions” to answer about the matter.

    Nigel Huddleston said in a statement: “These are extremely concerning revelations about the person responsible for managing £30 billion of taxpayers’ money.

    “Keir Starmer has serious questions to answer regarding what he knew and when about the person he appointed as Transport Secretary admitting to having misled the police.”

    Transport Secretary ‘pleaded guilty’ over work phone incident – The Irish News

    News Just in

    Man shot by police after car allegedly driven at officers during pursuit

    News Desk

    A motorist was shot by an armed officer from Greater Manchester Police after allegedly driving directly at police during a traffic stop on Bury New

    Read More »

    All London Tube and Overground lines closed during May bank holiday weekend

    News Desk

    Travel disruptions are expected across London over the late May bank holiday weekend due to multiple closures on London Underground and Overground lines, alongside a

    Read More »

    Keir Starmer Louise Haigh UK featured UK politics UK Trending
    Previous ArticleIs China holding back fire to deal with Trump tariffs?
    Next Article Coffin of Janey Godley to tour Edinburgh and Glasgow ahead of funeral

    Keep Reading

    Man shot by police after car allegedly driven at officers during pursuit

    Russia Plans New Military Doctrine Amidst Ongoing Tensions with NATO

    All London Tube and Overground lines closed during May bank holiday weekend

    US judge dismisses indictment against Salvadoran migrant Kilmar García

    Morrisons to close around 100 convenience stores in the UK this year

    Police investigate Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor over allegations of sexual offences

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    From our sponsors
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    Man shot by police after car allegedly driven at officers during pursuit

    May 23, 2026

    Russia Plans New Military Doctrine Amidst Ongoing Tensions with NATO

    May 23, 2026

    All London Tube and Overground lines closed during May bank holiday weekend

    May 23, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest news from WTX News Summarised in your inbox; News for busy people.

    My World News

    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    WTX News - Latest Global news and analysis and Breaking news with Exclusive News Briefings
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 WTX News.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.