Close Menu
WTX NewsWTX News
    What's Hot

    Allegations of assault on Hearts players ‘not proven’, says O’Neill

    May 21, 2026

    Oliver Glasner addresses Eberechi Eze after Arsenal’s Premier League title win

    May 21, 2026

    Aston Villa and Forest Players Shine in Key Match Analysis

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Latest News
    • Allegations of assault on Hearts players ‘not proven’, says O’Neill
    • Oliver Glasner addresses Eberechi Eze after Arsenal’s Premier League title win
    • Aston Villa and Forest Players Shine in Key Match Analysis
    • Reckoning Action organisation addresses misogyny and seeks congressional accountability
    • Three teenagers who raped two girls avoid jail to support rehabilitation
    • Finnish experts suggest divers may have taken wrong tunnel in Maldives deaths
    • Saka, Saliba and Raya absent from Arsenal training ahead of final game
    • Trump administration appoints 82 new immigration judges to expedite deportations
    • Memberships
    • Sign Up
    WTX NewsWTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics News
      • Business News
      • Tech News
      • COVID – 19
    • World News
      • Middle East News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • African News
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefing
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Woman’s Football
    • My World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • Tv Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking Recipes
      • Luxury
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    WTX NewsWTX News
    Latest News - News Briefing

    Suella Braverman urged to explain why refugees were ‘left on the streets’ for two nights

    0
    By News Desk on June 2, 2023 News Briefing, UK News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The Home Secretary has been asked to ‘clarify’ the circumstances surrounding the incident (Picture: Getty/PA)

    Suella Braverman has been asked to ‘urgently clarify’ why a large group of asylum seekers were ‘left on the street’ in Westminster for two nights.

    In a letter to the Home Secretary, the leader of Westminster City Council expressed his ‘deep concern’ that around 40 refugees were placed in the borough on Wednesday night ‘without appropriate accommodation or support available’ and no prior communication with the local authority.

    The group apparently refused to enter a Pimlico hotel where the Home Office had asked them to sleep ‘four people per room’.

    On Friday morning, around 20 people were still camped outside the Comfort Inn in protest at the cramped conditions inside, according to the council.

    Sat in doorways and on the floor, most of the individuals were dressed in tracksuit bottoms and thick jackets despite the warm weather.

    Items scattered on the pavement included suitcases, sleeping bags and even trays of food.

    The group later briefly stood in the middle of Belgrave Road blocking traffic, before being escorted to the pavement by Met Police officers.

    Suella Braverman has been asked to ‘urgently clarify’ what led the migrants to be ‘left on the street’ (Picture: PA)

    A spokesperson for the force said officers were engaging with those involved and remain at the location in order to prevent any breach of the peace’.

    On Friday afternoon, after officers had left the scene, asylum seekers went into the hotel to speak with a representative from the Home Office.

    It was unclear whether an agreement had been reached, and the department declined to comment.

    In his letter to Mrs Braverman, council leader Adam Hug complained that asking people who ‘are likely to have been through significant and traumatic events’ to share ‘an inappropriately-sized room with multiple strangers defies common sense and basic decency’.

    He said the Government’s demand created ‘safeguarding and health risks’, and noted that ‘leaving them on the street for multiple nights is not an alternative’.

    In his letter to Ms Braverman on Thursday, he wrote: ‘Neither the Home Office nor the hotel itself responded to this incident, ultimately leaving it to council officers to manage and support this large group overnight.

    Royaume-Uni : Belgrave Road, quartier aisé de Londres ou des #migrants se sont installés sur les trottoirs au pied des maisons après avoir décidé que l’hôtel dans lequel ils avaient été transférés n’avait rien à voir avec le beau logement qu’ils avaient vu sur Google pic.twitter.com/eqbboxCjLX

    — Réalité Actuelle (@ReaActuelle) June 2, 2023

    ‘I would ask that you urgently clarify how this was allowed to happen, why this was acceptable, and why no communication was made with the local authority to alert us.

    ‘I note that the issue is still unresolved and, as of Thursday evening, all 40 asylum seekers remain on the street. This is not acceptable.

    ‘It is not right, nor is it in the interest of these individuals – or our residents – to have them forced to endure a night on the streets because their transition into new accommodation has not been properly managed.’

    Rough sleeping teams have been supporting the refugees, according to the council, which claimed the Home Office had not put forward any resolution to the matter.

    A Home Office spokesman said: ‘Despite the number of people arriving in the UK reaching record levels, we continue to provide accommodation – at a cost of £6 million a day – for asylum seekers who would otherwise be destitute, to meet our legal obligation.

    ‘The accommodation offered to asylum seekers by providers, on a no-choice basis, is of a decent standard and meets all legal and contractual requirements.’

    Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

    For more stories like this, check our news page.

    The group apparently refused to enter a Pimlico hotel where the Home Office had asked them to sleep ‘four people per room’. 

    The Metro
    Previous ArticleMade In Chelsea’s Andy Jordan marries Alexandra Suter in low-key ceremony
    Next Article Chelsea plot moves for two midfielders which could cost £132 million

    Keep Reading

    Three teenagers who raped two girls avoid jail to support rehabilitation

    Christian charity claims boys now rape boys instead of girls

    DOJ indicts Raúl Castro over 1996 shooting of civilian aircraft in Cuba

    Police name three women recovered from sea off Brighton beach

    Starmer eases UK sanctions on Russian oil as fuel prices surge

    Government announces environmental regulations overhaul: how outlets frame it

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    From our sponsors
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    Three teenagers who raped two girls avoid jail to support rehabilitation

    May 21, 2026

    Christian charity claims boys now rape boys instead of girls

    May 21, 2026

    DOJ indicts Raúl Castro over 1996 shooting of civilian aircraft in Cuba

    May 20, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest news from WTX News Summarised in your inbox; News for busy people.

    My World News

    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    WTX News - Latest Global news and analysis and Breaking news with Exclusive News Briefings
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 WTX News.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.