Harry claims 140 articles by Mirror Group titles used unlawfully gathered information (Picture: Reuters)
Prince Harry will give evidence in court on Tuesday over alleged unlawful information-gathering against the publisher of the Daily Mirror.
The papers are also accused of gaining information by deception and unlawfully using private investigators.
Harry claims 140 articles published between 1996 and 2010 used unlawfully gathered information.
The first royal to give evidence in court for 130 years, he will be cross-examined under oath on a selection of 33 of these – including stories about his relationship with ex-girlfriend Chelsy Davy with headlines such as ‘Harry is a Chelsy fan’ and ‘Hooray Harry’s dumped’.
The Duke of Sussex, 38, is also expected to be questioned about his dealings with former Mirror editor Piers Morgan.
Harry’s lawyers claim Morgan had ‘clear involvement [in] and knowledge’ of the alleged illegal activities, which Morgan denies.
Harry will become the first member of the royal family to give evidence in court since the late 19th century (Picture: AP)
At the start of the trial, MGN said it ‘unreservedly apologises’ to the duke for one incident when a journalist at The People unlawfully sought information about Harry and that he was entitled to ‘appropriate compensation’ for it.
The journalist used a private investigator to gather information about one of Harry’s nights out in 2004 at London’s Chinawhite nightclub, a known celebrity haunt which has since closed.
But it ‘denies’ or ‘does not admit’ the other allegations, and has said Harry’s evidence is ‘slim’ in some cases and ‘utterly non-existent’ in others.
The company will also argue Harry waited too long to bring his case as victims typically have six years from learning of a crime against them to launch a civil lawsuit.
Harry’s claim is being heard alongside three other claims by representatives of Coronation Street actor Michael Turner – known professionally as Michael Le Vell – former Coronation Street actress Nikki Sanderson, and comedian Paul Whitehouse’s ex-wife Fiona Wightman.
The court previously heard Mr Turner was ‘devastated’ by accusations of being a ‘mole’ by fellow cast members after MGN journalists allegedly unlawfully gained access to voicemails he left on an associate’s phone.
Ms Wightman received an apology from the publisher over the unlawful gathering of her medical information while she was being treated for cancer.
More than 100 claimants, including the estate of George Michael and the singer Cheryl, are involved in wider litigation against the company.
Harry previously attended court in March when he joined singer Elton John and others for hearings over their lawsuit against the publisher of the Daily Mail and Sunday Mail tabloids, DMG Media.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].
For more stories like this, check our news page.
The duke will be cross-examined over dozens of tabloid stories he says were written using unlawfully gathered information.