Close Menu
WTX NewsWTX News
    What's Hot

    European Commission finalises €90 billion support loan to Ukraine.

    May 21, 2026

    Christian charity claims boys now rape boys instead of girls

    May 21, 2026

    Itamar Ben Gvir faces backlash over treatment of Gaza flotilla detainees

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Latest News
    • European Commission finalises €90 billion support loan to Ukraine.
    • Christian charity claims boys now rape boys instead of girls
    • Itamar Ben Gvir faces backlash over treatment of Gaza flotilla detainees
    • Germany seeks 40% stake in weapons maker KNDS to gain influence
    • Bodycams recovered from divers killed in Maldives may shed light on tragedy
    • European parliament debate highlights military spending amid geopolitical tensions
    • DOJ indicts Raúl Castro over 1996 shooting of civilian aircraft in Cuba
    • Inquiry launched after Yves Sakila dies following restraint by Dublin security guards
    • Memberships
    • Sign Up
    WTX NewsWTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics News
      • Business News
      • Tech News
      • COVID – 19
    • World News
      • Middle East News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • African News
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefing
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Woman’s Football
    • My World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • Tv Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking Recipes
      • Luxury
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    WTX NewsWTX News
    Latest News - EU

    More than 1,300 migrants brought ashore in Italy as locals march for shipwreck victims

    0
    By News Desk on March 11, 2023 EU, Europe, UK News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

     

    Three boats overcrowded with migrants were brought safely to Italian ports on Saturday, the coastguard said, as thousands of marchers remembered the victims of last month’s deadly shipwreck off Calabria’s coast.

    Advertising

    The rescue of more than 1,300 migrants came the same day as three more bodies from the shipwreck nearly two weeks ago were found, bringing the death toll to 76.

    The bodies recovered were those of two girls, both under the age of 10, and that of an adult male, said Italian news reports.

    The February 26 shipwreck just off the shore of Calabria, has drawn sharp criticism of the right-wing government led by Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni for its failure to intervene in time to save the migrants.

    In Cutro on Saturday, near the site of the disaster, thousands of marchers accompanied a cross made of splintered wood from the shipwreck, which was carried through the streets to the water’s edge.

    “This cross is a symbol of suffering today,” said Domenico “Mimmo” Lucano, a former Calabrian mayor, the ANSA news agency.

    “During these emergencies, Calabrian communities are shaken, and what prevails is a spirit of solidarity that the government doesn’t show,” he said.

    Lucano is known for his activism on behalf of migrants.

    On Friday, the coastguard began a rescue operation of three boats, one south of the Calabrian city of Crotone and two further south off Roccella Ionica.

    Coastguard videos showed a large fishing boat pitching violently back and forth in nightime rough seas with dozens of people visible on the deck. Other images showed inflatable rescue boats approaching another fishing vessel packed with people.

    The 487 migrants onboard the first boat were safely brought to the port of Crotone at about 0200 GMT Saturday morning, the coastguard said.

    Another operation in which 500 migrants were rescued to a coastguard ship was wrapping up, it added. ANSA had earlier reported that the ship had docked at the port of Reggio Calabria.

    Two coastguard patrol vessels rescued a third boat carrying 379 people, transferring the migrants to a Navy ship headed to the Sicilian port of Augusta, it said.

    Italy’s defence ministry said it had begun to air transfers of migrants away from the crowded migrant centre on the island of Lampedusa, which it said was now over capacity.

    The recent shipwreck has put the government on the defensive.

    On Thursday, Meloni held a cabinet meeting at Cutro, near the disaster site, and announced a new decree that included stiffer prison sentences for human traffickers, but no new measures to help save lives.

    Her far-right Brothers of Italy party, which won elections last year, had promised to curb arrivals, but Italy has recently seen a sharp rise in the number of migrants attempting to reach its shores via the dangerous Mediterranean crossing.

    The interior ministry says more than 17,500 people have arrived by sea so far this year — almost three times the number for the same period last year.

    (AFP)

     

    featured-eu
    Previous ArticleKris Jenner, 67, is the ultimate glam gran as she channels Marilyn Monroe alongside Meghan Trainor in sassy Mother music video
    Next Article BBC to run 20-minute Match of the Day in silence after Gary Lineker revolt

    Keep Reading

    European Commission finalises €90 billion support loan to Ukraine.

    Christian charity claims boys now rape boys instead of girls

    Germany seeks 40% stake in weapons maker KNDS to gain influence

    European parliament debate highlights military spending amid geopolitical tensions

    Radio Caroline marks 59 years of challenging BBC’s broadcasting monopoly

    Police name three women recovered from sea off Brighton beach

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    From our sponsors
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    European Commission finalises €90 billion support loan to Ukraine.

    May 21, 2026

    Christian charity claims boys now rape boys instead of girls

    May 21, 2026

    Germany seeks 40% stake in weapons maker KNDS to gain influence

    May 21, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest news from WTX News Summarised in your inbox; News for busy people.

    My World News

    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    WTX News - Latest Global news and analysis and Breaking news with Exclusive News Briefings
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 WTX News.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.