Get you up to speed: Five Italian nationals die during cave diving expedition in the Maldives
Giorgia Sommacal was one of five Italian nationals who died during a cave-diving mission in Vaavu Atoll. The bodies of the missing divers were being retrieved, with authorities believing the group had entered the cave at a depth of around 50m, exceeding the Maldives’ diving limit of 30m.
Five Italian nationals, including Giorgia Sommacal and her mother Monica Montefalcone, died during a cave-diving expedition in Vaavu Atoll, with Italy’s foreign minister, Antonio Tajani, expressing condolences and pledging to facilitate the recovery of the victims’ bodies. The University of Genoa confirmed that Montefalcone and another diver, Muriel Oddenino, were on an official research trip that did not involve the private diving excursion, which was carried out at a depth exceeding the local limit of 30m.
The search for the remaining bodies of the four missing Italian divers is ongoing, with authorities expecting to retrieve the last two bodies from the water next week. Italy’s foreign minister, Antonio Tajani, expressed that efforts would be made to bring the victims’ bodies home.
Boyfriend of Maldives diver was ‘waiting for cave snaps’ when she died | News World

Federico Colombo was heartbroken when he heard about the death of his girlfriend, Giorgia Sommacal (Picture: Facebook)
The boyfriend of a diver who was killed during an expedition in the Maldives has declared he will keep waiting for her as he ‘still can’t understand’ her death.
Giorgia Sommacal was one of five Italian nationals who died during a cave-diving mission in Vaavu Atoll on Thursday.
Giorgia’s boyfriend, Federico Colombo, has since told the Italian media he was eagerly anticipating her return home.
He said: ‘She was due back on the 24th, for my birthday, and I couldn’t wait for her to arrive. I’ll wait until then because I still can’t understand what happened.’
Federico, a 26-year-old bartender, had been dating Giorgia for two years and eight months and saw her ‘as my [future] wife, the mother of my children’.

Divers head out on a mission to retrieve the missing divers’ bodies (Credits: Maldives President’s Media Div)
Sign up for all of the latest stories
He explained Giorgia was due to graduate from the University of Genoa – where her late mother was an associate professor – this year, before they took a trip to Egypt with her family.
But the young couple’s plans were abruptly shattered when Giorgia’s father, Carlo Sommacal, visited the bar where Federico worked and delivered some painful news.
‘He came here to the bar and told me. I still can’t process what happened. She certainly wants me to move on with my life, but now I don’t know how to react, how to move on.’
Federico told Italian outlet Corriere Della Sera that he had last heard from Giorgia ‘a few moments before she dived.’
He said: ‘She was thrilled, as always. She told me that as soon as she surfaced, the first thing she’d do was send me photos of the Maldivian depths.
‘I waited for those shots. But they never arrived. Then her father, Carlo, told me about the tragedy. My world fell apart.’

Monica Montefalcone was ‘like a second mother’ to Colombo (Credits: Greenpeace via AP)
Speaking of his relationship with Giorgia’s mother, Monica Montefalcone – who also died during the dive – he added: ‘She was like a second mother to me.
‘And the relationship between her and Giorgia was unique. They were incredibly close.’
He added that the two bonded over their shared love of the sea and diving.
What happened in the Maldives?
On Thursday, five Italian nationals went missing during a cave diving trip.
In addition to the mother and daughter, marine biologist Federico Gualtieri, researcher Muriel Oddenino, and diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti died.

Marine biologist Federico Gualtieri was one of the people who died during the expedition

Muriel Oddenino was on a research trip with Ms Montefalcone, but went on the diving expedition privately

Gianluca Benedetti’s body was the first to be recovered
The body of diving instructor Federico Benedetti was the first to be found last week near the mouth of the cave, before rescue efforts were called off amid rough weather conditions and following the death of local military diver Mohamed Mahudhee during recovery efforts.
Authorities believe the other four entered the cave before they lost their lives.
Two of the remaining four bodies were recovered today, and the remaining two are expected to be retrieved from the water next week.
Italy’s foreign minister, Antonio Tajani, offered his condolences to Mr Mahudhee’s family and said everything possible would be done to bring the bodies of the victims home.
The diving limit in the Maldives is 30m. However, the group is understood to have died at a depth of around 50m below the surface.
The Italian tour operator that managed the diving trip has denied authorising or knowing about the aspect of the group’s dive which exceeded local limits, its lawyer told Italian local publication Corriere della Sera.
In a statement on Friday, the University of Genoa said Ms Montefalcone and Ms Oddenino had travelled to the Maldives on an official research trip to monitor marine environments and study the effects of climate change on tropical biodiversity.
The scuba diving trip was not a part of the trip and was ‘undertaken privately’, the statement added, and the other two victims were not part of the official research trip.
An investigation is ongoing.
Comment now
Comments
Add WTX as a Preferred Source on Google

