Close Menu
WTX NewsWTX News
    What's Hot

    US Energy Secretary Chris Wright indicates potential US withdrawal from IEA

    February 20, 2026

    Max Verstappen reacts to McLaren blunder ahead of F1 title decider in Abu Dhabi

    February 20, 2026

    European Commission convenes emergency meeting after Hungary, Slovakia halt diesel to Ukraine

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Latest News
    • US Energy Secretary Chris Wright indicates potential US withdrawal from IEA
    • Max Verstappen reacts to McLaren blunder ahead of F1 title decider in Abu Dhabi
    • European Commission convenes emergency meeting after Hungary, Slovakia halt diesel to Ukraine
    • Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested Amid Misconduct Allegations
    • Avalanche Tragedy: 8 Skiers Dead in Lake Tahoe Incident, Updates Here
    • European Parliament to consider minute of silence for activist Quentin Deranque
    • Mass Casualty Incident: 19 Primary School Children Injured in Germany News
    • Climber ‘Abandoned’ Girlfriend on Mountain; Similar Act with Ex Revealed
    • Memberships
    • Sign Up
    WTX NewsWTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics News
      • COVID – 19
    • World News
      • Middle East News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • African News
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefing
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Woman’s Football
    • My World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • Tv Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking Recipes
      • Luxury
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    WTX NewsWTX News
    Latest News - News Briefing

    Erik ten Hag explains decision to banish Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United squad after tantrum

    0
    By News Desk on October 21, 2022 News Briefing, UK News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The Portuguese star will not play against Chelsea after storming down the tunnel (Pictures: Getty)

    Erik ten Hag says Cristiano Ronaldo failed to live up to the standards he expects after axing the Portuguese superstar from Manchester United’s squad to face Chelsea following his tantrum against Tottenham.

    The 37-year-old, who had been an unused substitute in the match, stormed down the tunnel before the final whistle had been blown in Wednesday’s 2-0 win over Spurs.

    Some reports also claimed Ronaldo refused to come on so late in the match and United released a brief statement on Thursday confirming that he would not be available for selection against Chelsea on Sunday as punishment, while he has also been forced to train with the youth team.

    Ten Hag only spoke about Ronaldo briefly after the win over Spurs, saying the matter would be dealt with, and has now opened up on why he came down so strongly on the five-time Ballon d’Or winner as well as confirming that he refused to come on.

    Speaking at his pre-match press conference on Friday, he said: ‘What the talk – if you ask about that – is between Cristiano and me, the statement is also clear, I think. He remains an important player in the squad.

    “’I am the manager, I am responsible for the culture here and I have to set standards and values and I have to control them. In the team, we have values and standards and I have to control that.

    ‘After Vallecano [when Ronaldo left early during a friendly] I told him it was unacceptable but not him everyone, this is the second time, there are consequences.

    ‘We miss him tomorrow. It’s a miss for the squad but it’s important for the attitude and mentality of the group and now we have to focus on Chelsea as that is important.’

    Probed on whether it was true that Ronaldo refused to come on against Tottenham, Ten Hag replied bluntly: ‘Yes.’

    Taking to Instagram on Thursday night following United’s statement, Ronaldo gave his version of events, saying: ‘As I’ve always done throughout my career, I try to live and play respectfully towards my colleagues, my adversaries and my coaches.

    ‘That hasn’t changed. I haven’t changed. I’m the same person and the same professional that I’ve been for the last 20 years playing elite football, and respect has always played a very important role in my decision making process.

    ‘I started very young, the older and most experienced players examples were always very important to me.

    ‘Therefore, later on, I’ve always tried to set the example myself for the youngsters that grew in all the teams that I’ve represented. Unfortunately that’s not always possible and sometimes the heat of the moment get’s the best of us.

    ‘Right now, I just feel that I have to keep working hard in Carrington, support my teammates and be ready for everything in any given game.

    ‘Giving in to the pressure is not an option. It never was. This is Manchester United, and united we must stand. Soon we’ll be together again.’


    MORE : Erik ten Hag makes fresh contact with Edwin van der Sar over Manchester United switch


    MORE : Manchester United will consider letting Cristiano Ronaldo leave on a free in January

    For more stories like this, check our sport page.

    Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

    Follow Metro on Snapchat

    You can follow our new Snapchat show Pop Cultur’d, the go-to place for all things pop culture.

    Keep up with the latest Showbiz exclusives by following Metro Showbiz on Snapchat.

    And football fans can indulge in all the transfer gossip and more on Metro Football on Snapchat.

    The Portuguese superstar will not be involved against Chelsea and is training with the youth team. 

    The Metro
    Previous ArticleJamie Carragher reveals bizarre reason he was blocked from interviewing Man City legend
    Next Article Mum finds ‘maggots squirming in McDonald’s ketchup dispenser’

    Keep Reading

    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested Amid Misconduct Allegations

    Avalanche Tragedy: 8 Skiers Dead in Lake Tahoe Incident, Updates Here

    Nine injured in London’s second major bus crash in 24 hours | News UK

    Virginia Giuffre’s Family Releases Statement Following Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Arrest

    How Might a US Attack on Iran Develop? Understanding Trump’s Timeline Explained

    ‘ diners dash after racking up £234 Valentine’s meal bill | News UK’

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    From our sponsors
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    Friday’s News Briefing – Chaos in Westminster – More dead in Gaza and the weekend preview

    February 24, 2024

    Queen Elizabeth the Last! Monarchy Faces Fresh Demand to be Axed

    January 20, 2021

    To understand the new smart watched and other pro devices

    January 15, 2021

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest news from WTX News Summarised in your inbox; News for busy people.

    My World News

    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 WTX News.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.