Buckingham Palace’s defence of Prince Andrew used in court by Ghislaine Maxwell’s lawyer | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
A new set of unsealed documents show that Ghislaine Maxwell’s lawyer used Buckingham Palace’s defence of Prince Andrew in court.
Link copied Bookmark
Prince Andrew was named in unsealed court documents (Image: Getty)
Ghislaine Maxwell’s lawyer used Buckingham Palace’s defence of Prince Andrew in court, new documents have revealed.
A new batch of unsealed legal papers, which include around 300 pages, and are linked to paedophile Jeffrey Epstein and connected to the 2015 defamation case brought by Virginia Giuffre against Maxwell, were released late on Thursday.
In these papers, it emerges that the attorney of disgraced British socialite Maxwell mentioned the Palace’s defence of Andrew in a bid to get the defamation complaint dismissed.
In 2015, Buckingham Palace issued a statement in which it “emphatically denied” Andrew had any form of sexual contact or relationship with Ms Giuffre. It branded the allegations “false and without foundation”.
Laura Menninger said Ms Giuffre filed a motion claiming “to have been involved in sexual relations with Prince Andrew, with world leaders, a former prime minister of some country or other, (American lawyer) Mr Alan Dershowitz.”
Prince Andrew with Virginia Giuffre (middle) and Ghislaine Maxwell (Image: US Department of Justice/PA)
Our community members are treated to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. You can check out at any time. More info
But Ms Menninger added: “The press comes calling and asked my client and Mr Dershowitz and Prince Andrew and everyone else whether any of the allegations contained in this legal pleading are true.
“Buckingham Palace issued a statement flatly denying the claims made by plaintiff here.”
The lawyer later noted “Buckingham Palace said her claims were absolutely untrue” and added that “while others have called her a liar, notably Mr Dershowitz and others have denied claims that plaintiff has made, including Buckingham Palace … Ms Maxwell has not actually ever called her a liar”.
A day earlier, in the first batch of some 1,000 pages released, Andrew was, in allegations aired previously and which he strenuously denies, accused of having an orgy with underage girls, and touching a woman’s breast while posing with a puppet of himself.
Don’t miss… Epstein list released – Clinton and Prince Andrew among 187 names [LATEST] Prince Harry and Meghan Markle told how to rebuild trust in just six words [LIVE] Prince Harry celebrates new record as he and Meghan Markle look to change paths [LATEST]
The Daily Mail reported that the resurfacing of the claims has “crystallised” the King’s determination to deal decisively with his brother and there was “no way back”.
Sources told the newspaper the release of the documents has strengthened Charles’s resolve to never allow Andrew to resume royal duties, with plans already in progress to move him from his Royal Lodge home in Windsor Great Park into a smaller property.
Buckingham Palace declined to comment.
Would you like to receive news notifications from Daily Express?