Close Menu
WTX NewsWTX News
    What's Hot

    US judge dismisses indictment against Salvadoran migrant Kilmar García

    May 23, 2026

    Tulsi Gabbard resigns as director of national intelligence following husband’s cancer diagnosis

    May 23, 2026

    AI technology aids in translating 3,500-year-old cuneiform tablets in Turkey

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Latest News
    • US judge dismisses indictment against Salvadoran migrant Kilmar García
    • Tulsi Gabbard resigns as director of national intelligence following husband’s cancer diagnosis
    • AI technology aids in translating 3,500-year-old cuneiform tablets in Turkey
    • EU and Mexico sign revamped trade deal to strengthen economic ties
    • House Oversight Committee investigates Kalshi and Polymarket for insider trading
    • First images released from Maldives cave where six divers died
    • Ireland warns against Ukraine associate membership risk, citing limbo
    • Workers document Congressional activities overnight to produce the Congressional Record
    • Memberships
    • Sign Up
    WTX NewsWTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics News
      • Business News
      • Tech News
      • COVID – 19
    • World News
      • Middle East News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • African News
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefing
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Woman’s Football
    • My World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • Tv Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking Recipes
      • Luxury
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    WTX NewsWTX News
    Latest News - News Briefing

    Brilliant Chris Dobey dumps reigning champion Michael Smith out of World Darts Championship

    0
    By News Desk on December 29, 2023 News Briefing, UK News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Chris Dobey soared into the quarter-finals at Alexandra Palace (Picture: Getty Images)

    Chris Dobey sparkled on the Alexandra Palace stage on Friday night as he hammered reigning champion Michael Smith 4-0 to surge into the quarter-finals of the World Darts Championship.

    Hollywood has been in fine form all tournament so far, averaging over 102 for the third straight game, and averaging 52% on his doubles to pick up the huge win.

    Smith did not play badly at all, averaging over 102 himself, but it was Dobey who landed at the big moments, despite saying that he didn’t feel that comfortable during the contest.

    ‘To be honest, he missed a lot of doubles and let me in,’ Dobey told Sky Sports. ‘I didn’t feel too good up there tonight. I was a bit nervy. Playing another good friend on the biggest stage of them all, him being world number one and world champion, the occasion got to us a bit. I kept calm and battled through.

    ‘My scoring wasn’t there. He was banging in 180s for fun early doors and I thought, “I’m going to have to wake up.” My doubling helped us tonight and I’m in another quarter-final.

    ‘He’s battered me numerous times, it’s nice to get one back on him. But he’ll come back from that, he’s bigger and better than that, I’m not looking forward to the next time I play him.’

    Dobey will now play either Rob Cross or Jonny Clayton in the last eight and has no doubts over his ability to go all the way.

    ‘I’ve said to many people, I wouldn’t have turned up here at the start of the competition if I didn’t believe I could win it,’ he said. ‘I’m still in it so who knows.’

    Michael van Gerwen is looking in dangerous form (Picture: Getty Images)

    Earlier in the evening Michael van Gerwen also stormed into the quarter-finals, thrashing Stephen Bunting 4-0 and looking very impressive in doing so.

    On the prospect of playing Scott Williams or Damon Heta in the last eight, the three-time champion said: ‘They are going to be my first dessert for new year.’

    The opening match of Friday evening was the last third round contest and saw Gary Anderson look good in a 4-1 win over Croatian Boris Krcmar.

    The Flying Scotsman takes on Brendan Dolan, conqueror of Gerwyn Price, in the last 16.


    MORE : Raymond van Barneveld buzzing for Luke Littler challenge at World Darts Championship


    MORE : Teenage darts sensation Luke Littler reveals how he will spend World Darts Championship prize money

    For more stories like this, check our sport page.

    Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

    Hollywood sparkled against the champion. 

    The Metro
    Previous ArticleTory MP says people in his constituency are ‘crap parents’
    Next Article Santa pelted with eggs while delivering festive cheer over Christmas

    Keep Reading

    US judge dismisses indictment against Salvadoran migrant Kilmar García

    Morrisons to close around 100 convenience stores in the UK this year

    Police investigate Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor over allegations of sexual offences

    DNC report identifies key failures in 2024 presidential election strategy

    Christian charity claims boys now rape boys instead of girls

    DOJ indicts Raúl Castro over 1996 shooting of civilian aircraft in Cuba

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    From our sponsors
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    US judge dismisses indictment against Salvadoran migrant Kilmar García

    May 23, 2026

    Morrisons to close around 100 convenience stores in the UK this year

    May 22, 2026

    Police investigate Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor over allegations of sexual offences

    May 22, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest news from WTX News Summarised in your inbox; News for busy people.

    My World News

    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    WTX News - Latest Global news and analysis and Breaking news with Exclusive News Briefings
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 WTX News.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.