Close Menu
WTX NewsWTX News
    What's Hot

    Maldives investigates cave diving deaths of six individuals from Italy

    May 19, 2026

    EU negotiators seek agreement on defence readiness measures amid challenges

    May 19, 2026

    Trump endorses Paxton in Texas Senate runoff, stirring GOP tensions

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Latest News
    • Maldives investigates cave diving deaths of six individuals from Italy
    • EU negotiators seek agreement on defence readiness measures amid challenges
    • Trump endorses Paxton in Texas Senate runoff, stirring GOP tensions
    • Five Italian nationals die during cave diving expedition in the Maldives
    • NATO fighter jet shoots down stray Ukrainian drone over Lithuania
    • First HS2 trains delayed until 2036 as costs soar to £107 billion | News UK
    • Ireland confirms detention of six citizens by Israel during aid flotilla mission
    • Martin Ney sentenced to life for killing three boys from 1992 to 2001
    • Memberships
    • Sign Up
    WTX NewsWTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics News
      • Business News
      • Tech News
      • COVID – 19
    • World News
      • Middle East News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • African News
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefing
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Woman’s Football
    • My World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • Tv Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking Recipes
      • Luxury
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    WTX NewsWTX News
    Latest News - Entertainment

    Drummer Zak Starkey speaks out after leaving The Who

    0
    By News Desk on April 17, 2025 Entertainment, UK News
    Drummer Zak Starkey speaks out after leaving The Who
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Cliff Notes – Zak Starkey speaks out after leaving The Who

    • Zak Starkey has expressed surprise and sadness at his departure from The Who after nearly 30 years with the band, following recent charity shows at the Royal Albert Hall.
    • The decision for his exit was deemed a “collective decision” by the band after their Teenage Cancer Trust performances, amidst reported frustrations from frontman Roger Daltrey regarding Starkey’s drumming.
    • Starkey, who has dealt with health issues recently, plans to take time off with family and focus on new music and his autobiography, wishing The Who the best moving forward.

    Drummer Zak Starkey speaks out after leaving The Who

    Drummer Zak Starkey has said he is “surprised and saddened” after parting ways with The Who following recent charity shows at the Royal Albert Hall.

    The musician, who is the son of The Beatles drummer Ringo Starr and his first wife, Maureen Starkey, had been with the band since 1996, when he joined for their Quadrophenia tour.

    He was introduced to drumming as a child by “Uncle Keith” – The Who drummer and family friend Keith Moon, who died in 1978.

    Earlier this week, the band issued a statement saying a “collective decision” had been made about his departure. It came after their Teenage Cancer Trust shows in March.

    A review of one gig, published in the Metro, suggested frontman Roger Daltrey – who launched the annual gig series for the charity in 2000 – was “frustrated” with the drumming during some tracks.

    Now, Starkey has issued a statement to Rolling Stone, saying he is “very proud” of his near 30 years with The Who.

    “Filling the shoes of my Godfather, ‘Uncle Keith’ has been the biggest honour and I remain their biggest fan,” he said. “They’ve been like family to me.”

    In January, Starkey suffered a blood clot in his right leg and a performance with his other band Mantra Of The Cosmos – which also features Shaun Ryder and Bez from Happy Mondays, and Andy Bell of Ride and Oasis – was cancelled.

    Referencing this in his statement to Rolling Stone, Starkey said: “I suffered a serious medical emergency with blood clots in my right bass drum calf. This is now completely healed and does not affect my drumming or running.”

    He continued: “After playing those songs with the band for so many decades, I’m surprised and saddened anyone would have an issue with my performance that night, but what can you do?”

    Starkey said he planned to “take some much needed time off with my family” and focus on the release of Mantra Of The Cosmos single Domino Bones, which features Noel Gallagher, as well as his autobiography.

    “Twenty-nine years at any job is a good old run, and I wish them the best,” he added.

    Starkey has also previously played with Oasis, Lightning Seeds and Johnny Marr.

    While Daltrey starts a solo tour at the weekend, The Who have two shows planned for Italy in July but no full tour. Details of a replacement for Starkey have not been announced.

    featured Latest News news feed UK featured
    Previous ArticleNeymar exits in tears after fresh injury setback
    Next Article Hit new Netflix show racks up 9,800,000 views to topple Adolescence

    Keep Reading

    Maldives investigates cave diving deaths of six individuals from Italy

    Five Italian nationals die during cave diving expedition in the Maldives

    First HS2 trains delayed until 2036 as costs soar to £107 billion | News UK

    Ireland confirms detention of six citizens by Israel during aid flotilla mission

    Abusers are Misusing Doorbell Cameras and Smart Sunglasses as Weapons | News UK

    International Rescue Committee launches emergency response to Ebola outbreak in Central Africa

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    From our sponsors
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    Maldives investigates cave diving deaths of six individuals from Italy

    May 19, 2026

    Five Italian nationals die during cave diving expedition in the Maldives

    May 19, 2026

    First HS2 trains delayed until 2036 as costs soar to £107 billion | News UK

    May 19, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest news from WTX News Summarised in your inbox; News for busy people.

    My World News

    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    WTX News - Latest Global news and analysis and Breaking news with Exclusive News Briefings
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 WTX News.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.