Close Menu
WTX NewsWTX News
    What's Hot

    European Commission sends representative to Trump’s Board of Peace meeting in Washington this Thursday

    February 17, 2026

    Abandoned Baby Monkey Finds Solace in Cuddly Toy – Heartwarming News UK

    February 17, 2026

    Gang used SMS blasters on the Tube to con Londoners with fraudulent texts

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Latest News
    • European Commission sends representative to Trump’s Board of Peace meeting in Washington this Thursday
    • Abandoned Baby Monkey Finds Solace in Cuddly Toy – Heartwarming News UK
    • Gang used SMS blasters on the Tube to con Londoners with fraudulent texts
    • Ursula von der Leyen Advocates EU Military Cooperation at Munich Conference
    • European Commissioner Dubravka Šuica to Attend US Board of Peace Meeting This Week
    • Today’s Football Fixtures| PL| Seria A| La Liga & more
    • Starmer Cancels Council Election Delay: What This Means for Voters
    • Man Utd urged to complete £100m transfer move ahead of Arsenal
    • Memberships
    • Sign Up
    WTX NewsWTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics News
      • COVID – 19
    • World News
      • Middle East News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • African News
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefing
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Woman’s Football
    • My World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • Tv Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking Recipes
      • Luxury
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    WTX NewsWTX News
    Latest News - News Briefing

    Tory aides in Covid Christmas party video were invited to ‘jingle and mingle’

    0
    By News Desk on June 19, 2023 News Briefing, UK News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    This is the invitation reportedly sent to Tory aides for the December 14 gathering (Pictures: BBC/UNPIXS/Mirror)

    Tory aides seen dancing and mixing at a Christmas party during Covid restrictions were reportedly invited to ‘jingle and mingle’.

    An invitation telling people to ‘save the date’ is believed to be the one sent out to 30 people who were asked to join the festive event on December 14 in 2020.

    It tells officials to come along to ‘the Shaun Bailey for London holiday party’ with ‘jingle and mingle’ spelt out in large letters using glittery, red ribbon.

    The invitation was published by the BBC today, after a bombshell video showing Conservative officials dancing, drinking and defying lockdown laws emerged on Sunday.

    In the 45-second clip, obtained by the Daily Mirror, one reveller can be heard saying it’s okay to film ‘as long as we don’t stream that we’re, like, bending the rules’.

    The footage shows two other party-goers dancing in front of a sign reading ‘please keep your distance’ before knocking into a buffet table full of food and drink.

    Some 24 people reportedly attended the party held at the Conservative Campaign Headquarters (CCHQ) in London, while the city was under Tier 2 restrictions banning indoor socialising.

    Tory aides were told to ‘save the date for the Shaun Bailey for London holiday party’ (Picture: BBC/UNPIXS)

    EXCLUSIVE: First ever Partygate video revealed as Tories drink, dance and laugh at Covid rulespic.twitter.com/vIHbuIqWWf

    — The Mirror (@DailyMirror) June 17, 2023

    The Conservative Party previously said four unnamed people had faced disciplinary action for the event.

    It also stressed that the gathering was organised by the Shaun Bailey mayoral campaign team, not the Conservatives or CCHQ.

    Mr Bailey, who ran an unsuccessful bid to become mayor of the capital in the 2021 election, was handed a peerage last week, after being named on Boris Johnson’s already-controversial honours list.

    Tory mayoral campaign manager Ben Mallett, a former aide to Mr Johnson who can be seen chatting to guests in the video, was also on the list and awarded an OBE.

    The Christmas do made headlines at the end of 2021, when a photograph from the bash emerged as part of a Metropolitan Police investigation into multiple lockdown parties allegedly held by the Government at the time.

    A widely-publicised photo showed Mr Bailey, staffers and aides raising glasses of wine with a buffet table next to them.

    A picture taken at the December 2020 event was released at the end of 2021 (Picture: Mirror)

    Former London mayoral candidate Shaun Bailey has previously apologised for attending (Picture: PA)

    Two people who were at the event were on Boris Johnson’s honours list last week (Picture: PA)

    The Met looked into the event last year and issued no fines, citing not enough evidence to ‘disprove the version of events provided by attendees’.

    Now, the force has said they are ‘aware of the footage and are considering it’ as it was ‘not previously provided to officers’.

    In a statement released today, the Met reminded the public that it only launches investigations into retrospective breaches of the regulations ‘when there is evidence of a serious and flagrant breach’.

    There also needs to be ‘evidence that those involved knew or ought to have known what they were doing was an offence’.

    Levelling Up minister Michael Gove admitted the video was ‘terrible’, telling Sky News’ Sophy Ridge on Sunday: ‘I think it’s completely out of order.

    ‘I just want to apologise to everyone really who, looking at that image, will think well these are people who are flouting the rules that were put in place to protect us all.’

    To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
    browser that
    supports HTML5
    video

    Mr Bailey has previously apologised ‘unreservedly’ for attending the event and then resigned as chair of the London Assembly’s police and crime committee.

    When the video was first revealed over the weekend, a spokesperson for his campaign team said: ‘This is an old story. We repeatedly apologised for this event at the time. It was subject to a nearly year-long police investigation. The matter is closed.’

    The Conservative Party said: ‘Senior CCHQ staff became aware of an unauthorised social gathering in the basement of Matthew Parker Street organised by the Bailey campaign on the evening of 14th December 2020.

    ‘Formal disciplinary action was taken against the four CCHQ staff who were seconded to the Bailey campaign.’

    Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].

    For more stories like this, check our news page.

    The invitation was reportedly sent out to 30 people while London was under Tier 2 restrictions banning indoor socialising. 

    The Metro
    Previous ArticleFrance offers Tunisia EUR25.8 million to help stop illegal migration
    Next Article Arsenal give midfielder permission to explore Saudi Arabia transfer

    Keep Reading

    Gang used SMS blasters on the Tube to con Londoners with fraudulent texts

    Teens convicted of murdering man by luring him to beach and throwing rocks

    UK Weather Alert: Heavy snow, ice, and flooding expected this week

    UK Takes Action: New Laws to Safeguard Children from AI Chatbots

    Measles Hotspots Uncovered in the UK Following Rise in London Cases | News UK

    Amazon driver leaves van after navigating ‘UK’s most treacherous route’ to Foulness Island

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    From our sponsors
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    Friday’s News Briefing – Chaos in Westminster – More dead in Gaza and the weekend preview

    February 24, 2024

    Queen Elizabeth the Last! Monarchy Faces Fresh Demand to be Axed

    January 20, 2021

    Marquez Explains Lack of Confidence During Qatar GP Race

    January 15, 2021

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest news from WTX News Summarised in your inbox; News for busy people.

    My World News

    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 WTX News.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.