Morocco travel mayhem
Morocco travel mayhem as the government of Morocco has banned all travel to and from some of its major cities in a bid to stem an increase in coronavirus cases causing travel mayhem in Morocco. The decision falls within the measures for the Moroccan government to contain the spread of COVID-19.
Morocco’s government has announced a fresh lockdown in some major cities as new coronavirus cases in the country hit a record high; Morocco travel mayhem.
In a joint statement quoted by the MAP state news agency, the health and interior ministries said the travel restrictions imposed on Monday affected the cities of Tangier, Tetouan, Fez, Meknes, Casablanca, Berrechid, Settat and Marrakesh.
People with “urgent medical needs” and workers on specific missions were excluded, but would need a travel permit issued by a local authority, the statement added. Transportation of goods and commodities will continue normally.
There was mayhem as people converged on Casablanca’s main bus station on Sunday evening, while the train station in nearby Mohammedia was still crowded on Monday, AFP correspondents said.
Latest Tourism News from Morocco
Is Morocco open for tourism?
Minister of the Interior Abdelouafi Laftit declared on July 10 that public authorities have prioritized the revitalization of Morocco’s tourism sector with a set of strategic industry revival measures. But this latest development has created a setback in their plans.
Authorities announced the restrictions after a “considerable rise” in novel coronavirus cases just days before the Muslim Eid Al-Adha holiday when families traditionally come together.
The total number of cases in the kingdom reached 20,887 on Monday, including 316 deaths. The North African country registered record numbers of new daily infections over the weekend, with 811 cases on Saturday and 633 on Sunday.
The decision was made “in view of the majority of citizens failing to comply with preventive measures” of social distancing and mask-wearing, the statement said.
Earlier this month, authorities had announced an easing of some restrictions imposed in March, with steps to encourage domestic tourism and facilitate travel over the Eid Al-Adha holiday. The statement did not add how long the ban would remain in place.
Shops to close by 8 pm every day in Fez
Morocco’s local authorities in Fez announced strict new measures to contain the spread of COVID-19. Shops, cafes, and hair salons will not be able to operate beyond evening hours.
A source from the local authorities in Fez confirmed that shops and cafes will close at 8 p.m. every day.
“The decision is linked to the worrying epidemiological situation, which has witnessed an increase in the number of cases in the last days in Fez.”
The Fez-Meknes region has recorded 2,757 infections to date. Casablanca-Settat tops the list with 5,278 infections, followed by Tangier-Tetouan Al Hoceima (4,844), and Marrakech-Safi (3,350).
The government warned that a nationwide lockdown was still an option if citizens kept disregarding the guidelines.
Update: When is Morocco opening its borders?
Leave a comment