Close Menu
WTX NewsWTX News
    What's Hot

    Man Utd told to sign Premier League star who is ‘a mix of Mbeumo and Amad’

    February 16, 2026

    EU Commission announces revival of EPSO exam for EU administration roles

    February 16, 2026

    Amazon driver leaves van after navigating ‘UK’s most treacherous route’ to Foulness Island

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Latest News
    • Man Utd told to sign Premier League star who is ‘a mix of Mbeumo and Amad’
    • EU Commission announces revival of EPSO exam for EU administration roles
    • Amazon driver leaves van after navigating ‘UK’s most treacherous route’ to Foulness Island
    • US Secretary of State Marco Rubio meets Slovakia’s Prime Minister Fico
    • Authorities Investigate DNA Evidence in Disappearance of Nancy Guthrie
    • Rubio Calls for European Unity at Munich Security Conference
    • US Secretary of State Rubio urges Europe to reduce dependence on Washington
    • Lando Norris beats Max Verstappen to win F1 title at thrilling Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
    • Memberships
    • Sign Up
    WTX NewsWTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics News
      • COVID – 19
    • World News
      • Middle East News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • African News
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefing
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Woman’s Football
    • My World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • Tv Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking Recipes
      • Luxury
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    WTX NewsWTX News
    Latest News - News Briefing

    Ukraine war led my son to join the army, says defence secretary

    0
    By News Desk on November 10, 2024 News Briefing, UK News, Ukraine, World News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Ukraine war led my son to join the army, says defence secretary

    The defence secretary has revealed his son joined the army as a result of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, saying the conflict is now “personal”.

    John Healey said his son’s decision to join the British army reservists has allowed him to better understand the real-life impact of decisions he may make in a ministerial capacity.

    He said: “It weighs heavily on me as defence secretary, knowing that if we face conflict, it will be my decision to send British forces and personnel into situations which put them at risk. It’s a responsibility of the post, but now it’s personal as well.”

    His son, Alex, who is in his late twenties, is now an infantryman in the army reserves – a decision Mr Healey says he took in the days after Russia invaded Ukraine.

    The defence secretary told The Telegraph: “[It’s] not something I’ve talked about before. But in fact, it was Ukraine. So when Putin went in, in February 2022, the next day we were having lunch together and he said to me, ‘Dad, if I were Ukrainian, I’d join up today’.

    “And it was very soon after that he came to me and to his mum and said, ‘I want to join up. I want to be a reservist.’ That’s what he’s done.”

    Speaking about the personal impact of his son’s decision, Mr Healey added: “I can understand better the feeling of the families of those who… I hope it doesn’t happen, but if necessary, I will have as defence secretary to commit to conflicts where they may be at risk.”

    The defence secretary warned the world is “undoubtedly in an era of insecurity”.

    Meanwhile, veterans minister Al Carns – who served and led during four tours in Afghanistan – earlier this week revealed he had re-enlisted in the Royal Marines as a reservist.

    Mr Carns, who was awarded the Military Cross in 2011, said he wants to be ready to fight should war erupt in Europe, telling The Times: “If anything happens, I want to go back to the military.”

    “You can see the very freedoms we fought to protect and shape the international rules-based system after the Second World War are under threat,” he added.

    “I have a feeling that if there was ever a requirement, I don’t think any veteran would hesitate. When you serve you have that dedication and service to your country.

    “You never lose that, even if you leave. If you have physical or mental issues in service that usually continues with you so all veterans I think, continue to serve, in one way, shape or form until the day they die.”

    It comes amid growing concern about the UK’s ability to defend itself should a war break out in Europe.

    Last month, the defence secretary warned Britain’s armed forces are so depleted that the country is not ready to fend off an invasion.

    In his most damning assessment yet of the state of the UK’s defence capability, Mr Healey said the military could conduct “operations”, but would be unable to stop an enemy from invading.

    Meanwhile, president-elect Donald Trump has been highly critical of Nato, complaining that the US contributes too much to its budget while EU members spend too little on defence.

    During the election campaign, he suggested the US would only defend members of the alliance from a future attack by Russia if they met their spending obligations.

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/russia-ukraine-war-john-healey-b2644201.html

    London news The Independent UK featured
    Previous ArticleAngela Rayner opens door to four-day working week in local councils
    Next Article Call to review ‘cancel culture’ in universities after ‘ostracised’ Oxford student takes own life

    Keep Reading

    Man Utd told to sign Premier League star who is ‘a mix of Mbeumo and Amad’

    Amazon driver leaves van after navigating ‘UK’s most treacherous route’ to Foulness Island

    Authorities Investigate DNA Evidence in Disappearance of Nancy Guthrie

    US Secretary of State Rubio urges Europe to reduce dependence on Washington

    Former Liverpool star admits he ‘didn’t like’ Raheem Sterling

    Dad Spotted Removing Armpit Hair for Free Meal Surprise in Sydney | News World

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    From our sponsors
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    Friday’s News Briefing – Chaos in Westminster – More dead in Gaza and the weekend preview

    February 24, 2024

    Queen Elizabeth the Last! Monarchy Faces Fresh Demand to be Axed

    January 20, 2021

    Marquez Explains Lack of Confidence During Qatar GP Race

    January 15, 2021

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest news from WTX News Summarised in your inbox; News for busy people.

    My World News

    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 WTX News.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.