Close Menu
WTX News
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Police given more time to question man arrested over Heaton Park synagogue attack
    • Under pressure Frank eyes Spurs victory over Fulham – live updates
    • Trump closes airspace ‘above and surrounding’ Venezuela
    • Piastri gets first pole since Zandvoort, Norris second after error
    • Legendary playwright Sir Tom Stoppard has died
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube
    WTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics
      • COVID-19
      • Business
      • Tech zone
    • World news
      • Middle East News
        • UAE News
        • Palestine News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • Africa news
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefings
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Women’s Football
    • MY World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
      • Special Reports
        • Conscience Convoy
        • Rohingya Report
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • TV Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking recipes
      • Luxury
      • Money Saving Expert
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    • Sign Up
      • Log In
    WTX News
    • Live News
    • World news
    • News Briefings
    • Sports
    • MY World
    • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Travel
    • Sign Up
    Home - World News - State of emergency declared as tremors continue
    World News Updated:February 7, 2025

    State of emergency declared as tremors continue

    By Olga Winter - EU Newsdesk2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email Telegram WhatsApp
    State of emergency declared as tremors continue

    Authorities in Greece on Thursday moved to declare a state of emergency on the island of Santorini as persistent tremors continued hiking fears of a possible bigger earthquake.

    The region has been rattled by thousands of tremors and more than a hundred earthquakes since January 26.

    Emergency measures in effect until March 3

    The Greek Civil Protection Ministry issued the declaration that allows authorities to quickly mobilize heavy equipment and emergency personnel.

    The ministry said the declaration would be in force from February 1 and would remain in effect until March 3.

    Government spokesman Pavlos Marinakis on Thursday said Greece’s “entire state mechanism has been mobilized” to prepare for “any eventuality.”

     Residents flee as tremors rattle Greek island of Santorini

    More than 11,000 people have fled Santorini by ferry and by airplane, with travel operators adding extra journeys to both forms of transport.

    German news agency DPA reported that around two-thirds of the island’s inhabitants had left and that it was unclear how many tourists remained in the popular holiday hotspot.

    Thousands of tremors recorded

    Greece’s authority on earthquakes, the Athens Geodynamic Institute, said that to date there have been 110 earthquakes measuring between 4.0 and 4.9 in magnitude.

    The strongest earthquake so far was one measuring 5.2, recorded on Wednesday evening.

    The institute said that over 6,000 tremors had been recorded in the Aegean Sea near the islands of Santorini, Amorgos, Anafi and Ios since January 26.

    Experts say the current seismic activity is unprecedented and they cannot say with certainty when the situation will normalize.

    “The most likely scenario is for the seismic activity to continue for certain days or weeks at the same intensity,” the AFP news agency quoted the head of Greece’s earthquake planning and protection authority, Efthymios Lekkas, as telling Proto Programma radio.

    Edited by: Louis Oelofse

    State of emergency declared as tremors continue – DW – 02/06/2025

    News Just in

    US halts all asylum decisions after DC shooting

    Olga Winter - EU Newsdesk

    Cliff Notes – US halts all asylum decisions after DC shooting The United States has paused all asylum decisions following a shooting incident involving National

    Read More »

    Two ships of Russia’s sanctioned shadow fleet caught fire in the Black Sea off Türkiye

    Olga Winter - EU Newsdesk

    TL;DR Two oil tankers, Kairos and Virat, linked to Russia’s “shadow fleet,” caught fire in the Black Sea, prompting a large-scale rescue operation for their

    Read More »

    DW News EU Featured featured Greece State of Emergency World News
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram WhatsApp
    Previous ArticleUkraine offers humanitarian corridor for Russian civilians trapped in seized border areas
    Next Article Games Inbox: Is the Mass Effect trilogy overrated?
    Olga Winter - EU Newsdesk
    • Facebook
    • X (Twitter)

    Olga Winter is a specialist editor writing about current affairs on the EU news desk for WTX News. Based in Brussels she ideally suited to the address the domestic and global affairs of the European continent, with assignments that include expose and In Review features for specialist reports..

    Related Posts

    Southeast Asia grows wary of crypto mining
    Asia

    Southeast Asia grows wary of crypto mining

    Zelenskyy ally Andriy Yermak resigns amid corruption probe
    Ukraine

    Zelenskyy ally Andriy Yermak resigns amid corruption probe

    Software issue hits thousands of Airbus planes – UK passengers warned of potential disruption
    Travel

    Software issue hits thousands of Airbus planes – UK passengers warned of potential disruption

    Guinea-Bissau junta names interim leader after coup
    World News

    Guinea-Bissau junta names interim leader after coup

    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    Advertisment
    News Headlines
    Police given more time to question man arrested over Heaton Park synagogue attack

    Police given more time to question man arrested over Heaton Park synagogue attack

    Trump closes airspace ‘above and surrounding’ Venezuela

    Trump closes airspace ‘above and surrounding’ Venezuela

    Save 70% on VIP subscription
    News Briefings - the way to a better life
    News Briefings - the way to a better life
    Advert by Sponsors
    More from WTX News
    The latest gaming news - with game reviews and tips and tricks. updated 24 hours a day.
    The latest gaming news
    Hot off the press!
    • Police given more time to question man arrested over Heaton Park synagogue attack November 29, 2025
    • Under pressure Frank eyes Spurs victory over Fulham – live updates November 29, 2025
    • Trump closes airspace ‘above and surrounding’ Venezuela November 29, 2025
    • Piastri gets first pole since Zandvoort, Norris second after error November 29, 2025
    • Legendary playwright Sir Tom Stoppard has died November 29, 2025
    WTX News latest breaking news sports and travel
    Latest News and analysis - Deciphering through the BS with exclusive News Briefings
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    News delivered to your inbox

    Copyright WTX News 2025

    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.