Close Menu
WTX News
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Piastri gets first pole since Zandvoort, Norris second after error
    • Legendary playwright Sir Tom Stoppard has died
    • Enzo Maresca: ‘Too early’ to tell if Chelsea can challenge Arsenal
    • Cricket Australia to ask Khawaja for explanation of ‘s***’ pitch comments

    • The family of a 14-year-old hit by a train say they will ‘miss him forever’
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube
    WTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics
      • COVID-19
      • Business
      • Tech zone
    • World news
      • Middle East News
        • UAE News
        • Palestine News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • Africa news
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefings
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Women’s Football
    • MY World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
      • Special Reports
        • Conscience Convoy
        • Rohingya Report
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • TV Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking recipes
      • Luxury
      • Money Saving Expert
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    • Sign Up
      • Log In
    WTX News
    • Live News
    • World news
    • News Briefings
    • Sports
    • MY World
    • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Travel
    • Sign Up
    Home - Philippines - Philippine president’s security raised after VP death threat
    Philippines Updated:November 24, 2024

    Philippine president’s security raised after VP death threat

    By Olga Winter - EU Newsdesk3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email Telegram WhatsApp
    Philippine president’s security raised after VP death threat

     

    Security agencies in the Philippines raised safety measures on Saturday after Vice President Sara Duterte threatened to have the country’s President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. assassinated.

    Duterte spoke during a morning press briefing and said that she had spoken to an assassin, instructing him to kill Marcos, his wife, and the speaker of the Philippine House, if she herself were to be killed.

    ‘Do not stop until you kill them’ — Vice President Duterte’s threat

    “This country is going to hell because we are led by a person who doesn’t know how to be a president and who is a liar,” Duterte said in the profanity-laden briefing broadcast on her Facebook page before making the brazen threat.

    “I have talked to a person. I said, if I get killed, go kill BBM (Marcos), (first lady) Liza Araneta, and (Speaker) Martin Romualdez. No joke. No joke,” Duterte said, referring to the initials BBM which is the president’s alias, Bongbong Marcus.

    “I said, do not stop until you kill them, and then he said yes.”

    Duterte responded to an online commenter who advised her to stay safe, as she was in a risky situation. She did not mention any specific threats against her.

    Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.
    Philippine authorities have taken measures to increase security after the country’s own vice president threatened to have President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. killedImage: Sakchai Lalit/AP Photo/picture alliance

    Duterte, daughter of the country’s previous president Rodrigo Duterte, previously accused Marcos of incompetence and said she had imagined cutting the president’s head off.

    Duterte resigned from the Marcos cabinet in June while remaining vice president. The vice president, is elected separately from the president and has no official duties.

    They are at odds over foreign policy and former President Duterte’s deadly war on drugs, among others.

     

    ‘Matter of national security’ — Presidential Security Command

    Under the Philippine Penal Code, such public remarks can be considered a crime and punishable by imprisonment and a fine.

    In response to the threat, the Presidential Security Command said it had heightened and strengthened security protocols.

    “We are also closely coordinating with law enforcement agencies to detect, deter and defend against any and all threats to the president and the first family,” it said in a statement.

    “We consider this a matter of national security and shall take all necessary measures to ensure the President’s safety,” the agency said.

    Police Chief Rommel Francisco Marbil said he had ordered an immediate investigation, adding that “any direct or indirect threat to his life must be addressed with the highest level of urgency.”

    kb/lo (AP, dpa, Reuters)

    Philippine president’s security raised after VP death threat – DW – 11/23/2024

    News Just in

    US halts all asylum decisions after DC shooting

    Olga Winter - EU Newsdesk

    Cliff Notes – US halts all asylum decisions after DC shooting The United States has paused all asylum decisions following a shooting incident involving National

    Read More »

    DW News featured Philippines politics Trending Politics
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram WhatsApp
    Previous ArticleGiulia Mei from X Factor to the streets: “My Flag is a hymn to freedom for all women”
    Next Article Israeli PM's speech was 'a declaration of war directed inside Israel'
    Olga Winter - EU Newsdesk
    • Facebook
    • X (Twitter)

    Olga Winter is a specialist editor writing about current affairs on the EU news desk for WTX News. Based in Brussels she ideally suited to the address the domestic and global affairs of the European continent, with assignments that include expose and In Review features for specialist reports..

    Related Posts

    Southeast Asia grows wary of crypto mining
    Asia

    Southeast Asia grows wary of crypto mining

    Software issue hits thousands of Airbus planes – UK passengers warned of potential disruption
    Travel

    Software issue hits thousands of Airbus planes – UK passengers warned of potential disruption

    Guinea-Bissau junta names interim leader after coup
    World News

    Guinea-Bissau junta names interim leader after coup

    Survivors cling to each other as debris falls from smouldering Hong Kong buildings
    China

    Survivors cling to each other as debris falls from smouldering Hong Kong buildings

    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    Advertisment
    News Headlines
    Legendary playwright Sir Tom Stoppard has died

    Legendary playwright Sir Tom Stoppard has died

    The family of a 14-year-old hit by a train say they will ‘miss him forever’

    The family of a 14-year-old hit by a train say they will ‘miss him forever’

    Save 70% on VIP subscription
    News Briefings - the way to a better life
    News Briefings - the way to a better life
    Advert by Sponsors
    More from WTX News
    The latest gaming news - with game reviews and tips and tricks. updated 24 hours a day.
    The latest gaming news
    Hot off the press!
    • Piastri gets first pole since Zandvoort, Norris second after error November 29, 2025
    • Legendary playwright Sir Tom Stoppard has died November 29, 2025
    • Enzo Maresca: ‘Too early’ to tell if Chelsea can challenge Arsenal November 29, 2025
    • Cricket Australia to ask Khawaja for explanation of ‘s***’ pitch comments

      November 29, 2025
    • The family of a 14-year-old hit by a train say they will ‘miss him forever’ November 29, 2025
    WTX News latest breaking news sports and travel
    Latest News and analysis - Deciphering through the BS with exclusive News Briefings
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    News delivered to your inbox

    Copyright WTX News 2025

    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.