Close Menu
WTX NewsWTX News
    What's Hot

    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested for Misconduct: Public Reaction Explodes

    February 21, 2026

    German Chancellor Friedrich Merz to visit China next week with delegation

    February 20, 2026

    Rio Ferdinand reveals Michael Carrick was convinced Man Utd star would win Ballon d’Or

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Latest News
    • Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested for Misconduct: Public Reaction Explodes
    • German Chancellor Friedrich Merz to visit China next week with delegation
    • Rio Ferdinand reveals Michael Carrick was convinced Man Utd star would win Ballon d’Or
    • Tourist Holds Baby Over 260ft Waterfall for Risky Holiday Photo in Argentina
    • Hungary to Block Financial Aid for Ukraine Until Russian Oil Transit Resumes
    • Avalanches in Austrian Alps Claim Three Lives
    • Arsenal star told to ‘force a move away’ after Bukayo Saka decision
    • EU Commission Reviews US Supreme Court Ruling Impacting Trade Deal
    • Memberships
    • Sign Up
    WTX NewsWTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics News
      • COVID – 19
    • World News
      • Middle East News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • African News
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefing
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Woman’s Football
    • My World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • Tv Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking Recipes
      • Luxury
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    WTX NewsWTX News
    Latest News - World News

    Military says it foiled attack on presidential palace

    0
    By News Desk on January 10, 2025 World News
    Military says it foiled attack on presidential palace
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Chad’s national prosecutor said on Thursday that an attempt to storm the presidential palace on Wednesday evening had been foiled.

    Two dozen armed men allegedly carrying “weapons, machetes and knives” attacked the palace guards after pretending to be in a broken-down vehicle by the gates.

    President in palace at time of attack

    “They killed two soldiers and seriously wounded five others,” state prosecutor Oumar Kedelaye said, adding that 18 assailants were killed and six were wounded.

    President Mahamat Idriss Deby Itno was inside the palace at the time of the attack, the motive for which was still unclear.

    At the time of the attack on Wednesday, gunshots were heard near the presidency in the capital of Chad, N’Djamena and convoys of military vehicles were seen driving toward the presidency too.

    While all roads leading to the presidency had been blocked initially, all of those restrictions were lifted by Thursday morning, with traffic back to normal.

    Infrastructure Minister says ‘situation is under control’

    Shortly after the initial reports of gunfire, Chad’s Infrastructure Minister Aziz Mahamat Saleh said the situation was being dealt with.

    “Nothing serious, no panic, the situation is under control,” he posted on Facebook without giving further details.

    A government spokesperson echoed those sentiments.

    “It was a little incident … everything is calm,” Abderaman Koulamallah said in a video posted on Facebook, which he said was filmed at the presidency. “This whole attempt at destabilization has been wiped out.”

    Contested elections amid opposition cries of foul play

    Wednesday’s gunshots come less than two weeks after the African country held contested legislative, provincial, and local elections.

    Chad’s government hailed the elections a key step towards ending military rule, but it was marked by low turnout and accusations of fraud from the country’s opposition, which boycotted the polls leaving the field open to candidates aligned with Mahamat Idriss Deby Itno.

    The military first steered Itno into power in 2021 after his father’s death.

    The elder Idriss Deby Itno had ruled the Sahel country with an iron fist for three decades until his death in April 2021.

    The December vote was held amid the backdrop of recurring attacks by the jihadist group Boko Haram, the ending of a military accord with former colonial master France, and accusations that Chad was interfering in the conflict ravaging neighboring Sudan.

    km,jsi/ab (AFP, Reuters)

    Military says it foiled attack on presidential palace – DW – 01/09/2025

    News Just in

    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested for Misconduct: Public Reaction Explodes

    Iris East

    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested for Misconduct: Public Reaction Explodes — what we know so far Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct related to

    Read More »

    German Chancellor Friedrich Merz to visit China next week with delegation

    Iris East

    German Chancellor Friedrich Merz will visit China next week with a large business delegation, aiming to strengthen economic ties amid rising Chinese competition for Germany’s

    Read More »

    Chad DW News featured Main Headlines
    Previous ArticleOrthodox Christmas without Russian gas
    Next Article Bengali-speaking Indians caught up in immigration clampdown

    Keep Reading

    Tourist Holds Baby Over 260ft Waterfall for Risky Holiday Photo in Argentina

    Avalanches in Austrian Alps Claim Three Lives

    British Man Becomes ‘President’ of His Own Nation, Establishes Embassy

    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested: Misconduct Investigation Updates

    Pep Guardiola gives Erling Haaland injury update ahead of Man City vs Newcastle

    US Strengthens Military Presence Near Iran: Key Insights on Defence Strategy

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    From our sponsors
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    Friday’s News Briefing – Chaos in Westminster – More dead in Gaza and the weekend preview

    February 24, 2024

    Queen Elizabeth the Last! Monarchy Faces Fresh Demand to be Axed

    January 20, 2021

    To understand the new smart watched and other pro devices

    January 15, 2021

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest news from WTX News Summarised in your inbox; News for busy people.

    My World News

    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 WTX News.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.