Close Menu
WTX NewsWTX News
    What's Hot

    Germany Confirms No Plans to Purchase Additional F-35 Fighter Jets

    February 21, 2026

    Former Man Utd target backed to replace Liam Rosenior as Chelsea manager

    February 21, 2026

    Majority of Europeans Support Changing ECHR Migrant Rules, YouGov Survey Finds

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Latest News
    • Germany Confirms No Plans to Purchase Additional F-35 Fighter Jets
    • Former Man Utd target backed to replace Liam Rosenior as Chelsea manager
    • Majority of Europeans Support Changing ECHR Migrant Rules, YouGov Survey Finds
    • 23-Year-Old British Skier Caught in Massive Avalanche in the French Alps
    • Arsenal or Man City? Paul Merson says £20m signing could decide title race
    • How the European Union looks to counter China in Africa
    • UK Influencer Arrested for Allegedly Poisoning Husband with Wine
    • Canada Joins EU’s SAFE Loan Scheme for Defence Equipment Procurement
    • Memberships
    • Sign Up
    WTX NewsWTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics News
      • Business News
      • Tech News
      • COVID – 19
    • World News
      • Middle East News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • African News
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefing
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Woman’s Football
    • My World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • Tv Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking Recipes
      • Luxury
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    WTX NewsWTX News
    Latest News - News Briefing

    Ian Wright calls BBC a ‘hot mess’ over Gary Lineker drama

    0
    By News Desk on March 14, 2023 News Briefing, Sport
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Wright vowed to quit if the BBC sacked Lineker (Picture: James Baylis – AMA/Getty Images)

    Ian Wright has said managers at the BBC caused a ‘hot mess’ at the weekend after asking Gary Lineker to step away from Match Of The Day.

    The BBC asked Lineker to step down from hosting Match of the Day after his post on Twitter in which he compared the language used in a Home Office video on immigration policy with Nazi Germany.

    In a quick U-turn, Lineker was reinstated by the BBC on Monday morning, while the broadcaster confirmed it will launch an independent review on its social media guidelines.

    Within that time, the likes of Wright and Alan Shearer stood by Lineker, refusing to step in, while he also garnered support from celebrities like Piers Morgan, and a petition calling on him to be reinstated reached more than 200,000 signatures.

    Wright also vowed to leave the BBC if Lineker was sacked, saying: ‘If they do, the BBC get rid of Gary Lineker, I’m out. I’m gone, I’m not staying there’.

    He’s now called the BBC drama a ‘hot mess’.

    Lineker was asked to step back from hosting MOTD (Picture: Marc Atkins/Getty Images)

    Speaking on podcast Wrighty’s house, the 59-year-old said the row had been a ‘perfect distraction from what really matters’.

    He added: ‘For me, they made a hot mess. I’m telling you, this is all from high up, I can’t blame my man (the head of BBC TV Sport) Philip Bernie, the BBC Sports team. All of this is over a tweet.’

    It came as those at the broadcaster were invited to lunchtime sessions in Salford on Tuesday so director-general Tim Davie and chief content officer Charlotte Moore could ‘hear from staff, take questions and reflect on the events of the last few days’, the PA news agency understands.

    To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
    browser that
    supports HTML5
    video

    More: Trending

    Britney Spears’ Doberman ‘gets loose and bites elderly man’

    Russian fighter jets ‘bullied’ US drone before knocking it out of the sky

    Boy in serious condition after falling ill from ‘unknown substance’ at school

    Wright continued: ‘At some stage surely, heads have got to roll…the mismanagement levels of this is, I can’t even tell you, but it’s done, everybody knows how I feel about it.

    ‘I’m just pleased that it’s kind of come to something.’

    Got a story?

    If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.


    MORE : Gary Lineker calls on Elon Musk to act as son George is told he should be ‘burned at stake’ in disturbing message


    MORE : Pressure back on BBC chief to resign after Gary Lineker ‘capitulation’

    This comes after Wright vowed to quit if Lineker was sacked. 

    Football gossip Gary Lineker row Ian Wright The Metro
    Previous Article‘He’s been put through the wringer’ – Rio Ferdinand gives damning assessment of Josko Gvardiol after Erling Haaland masterclass
    Next Article Amir Khan: Staring down a gun is scarier than boxing

    Keep Reading

    Former Man Utd target backed to replace Liam Rosenior as Chelsea manager

    Arsenal or Man City? Paul Merson says £20m signing could decide title race

    Supreme Court Overturns Trump Tariffs: What It Means for Consumers

    UK Government Mulls Removing Andrew from Royal Succession Line

    Mikel Arteta urged to drop Arsenal star for Tottenham clash: ‘Due a rest’

    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested for Misconduct: Public Reaction Explodes

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    From our sponsors
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    Friday’s News Briefing – Chaos in Westminster – More dead in Gaza and the weekend preview

    February 24, 2024

    Queen Elizabeth the Last! Monarchy Faces Fresh Demand to be Axed

    January 20, 2021

    To understand the new smart watched and other pro devices

    January 15, 2021

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest news from WTX News Summarised in your inbox; News for busy people.

    My World News

    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 WTX News.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.