Close Menu
WTX NewsWTX News
    What's Hot

    Russia Plans New Military Doctrine Amidst Ongoing Tensions with NATO

    May 23, 2026

    Trump administration requires most green card applicants to leave the US first

    May 23, 2026

    All London Tube and Overground lines closed during May bank holiday weekend

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Latest News
    • Russia Plans New Military Doctrine Amidst Ongoing Tensions with NATO
    • Trump administration requires most green card applicants to leave the US first
    • All London Tube and Overground lines closed during May bank holiday weekend
    • Fire destroys makeshift Ebola hospital in Congo after family dispute
    • Over 3,500 sign petition against Vincent Bolloré’s influence in French cinema
    • US judge dismisses indictment against Salvadoran migrant Kilmar García
    • Tulsi Gabbard resigns as director of national intelligence following husband’s cancer diagnosis
    • AI technology aids in translating 3,500-year-old cuneiform tablets in Turkey
    • Memberships
    • Sign Up
    WTX NewsWTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics News
      • Business News
      • Tech News
      • COVID – 19
    • World News
      • Middle East News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • African News
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefing
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Woman’s Football
    • My World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • Tv Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking Recipes
      • Luxury
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    WTX NewsWTX News
    Latest News - Business Briefing

    Google must divest Chrome to end monopoly, US regulators say

    0
    By News Desk on November 21, 2024 Business Briefing, World News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    US prosecutors asked a judge on Wednesday to force Alphabet’s Google to divest its Chrome browser, share data and search results with competitors and take other steps to end its internet search monopoly.

    A court filing showed that the Department of Justice urged Google be banned from becoming the default search engine on smartphones, preventing the US tech giant from exploiting its Android mobile operating system.

    The world’s most popular web browser, Chrome provides user information to Google that helps the company profitably personalize which ads users see. Google controls about 90% of the online search market with over 60% of users relying on Google Chrome to perform those searches.

    The sale of Chrome would “permanently stop Google’s control of this critical search access point and allow rival search engines the ability to access the browser that for many users is a gateway to the internet,” the Justice Department said.

    Google controls about 90% of the online search market.

    Changes in store for Google?

    If US courts take the Justice Department’s advice to force Google to sell off Chrome, it would come as a significant blow to the company’s revenue.

    Google has previously called the idea of a breakup “radical.” The company is expected to submit its proposals for business practice changes in a court filing next month.

    Adam Kovacevich, chief executive of the Chamber of Progress, an industry trade group, told the AFP news agency that government demands were “fantastical,” adding that less intrusive measures were better suited to the case.

    Google — the monopolist

    In August this year, internet behemoth Alphabet lost the biggest antitrust challenge it has ever faced when a US judge ruled that its Google subsidiary was a monopoly in the online search market.

    US Federal Court Judge Amit Mehta ruled that $26.3 billion (€24.9 billion) in payments Google made to other companies to make its internet search engine the default option on smartphones and web browsers effectively blocked any other competitor from succeeding in the market.

    Touted as the “trial of the decade,” the proposal marks the most significant government effort to curb the power of a technology company since the Justice Department unsuccessfully attempted to break up Microsoft two decades ago.

    A trial on these proposals is set to begin in April of 2025, and Judge Mehta aims to deliver a verdict before September. However, as President Joe Biden hands over the reins to President-elect Donald Trump, the new Department of Justice officials could alter the course of the case.

    Google must divest Chrome to end monopoly, US regulators say – DW – 11/21/2024

    News Just in

    Russia Plans New Military Doctrine Amidst Ongoing Tensions with NATO

    Dania Hirch

    MALDIVES DIVING TRAGEDY
    Italian divers died after taking a wrong turn while underwater this morning.
    Authorities have seized their equipment amid ongoing investigations into the

    Read More »

    Trump administration requires most green card applicants to leave the US first

    Loisa Lane

    The Trump administration has implemented a new policy that significantly restricts the process for immigrants in the U.S. to obtain permanent residency, mandating that many

    Read More »

    DW News EU Business News featured Google Legal news US Business
    Previous ArticleBoxing hero Price praises Lottery’s impact
    Next Article No aid to north Gaza in 40 days, situation is dire – UN

    Keep Reading

    Russia Plans New Military Doctrine Amidst Ongoing Tensions with NATO

    Fire destroys makeshift Ebola hospital in Congo after family dispute

    AI technology aids in translating 3,500-year-old cuneiform tablets in Turkey

    First images released from Maldives cave where six divers died

    Six fatalities confirmed in Maldives diving accident at submerged cave

    Banned UK vapes repurposed to create power sources for Ukrainian soldiers

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    From our sponsors
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    Russia Plans New Military Doctrine Amidst Ongoing Tensions with NATO

    May 23, 2026

    Fire destroys makeshift Ebola hospital in Congo after family dispute

    May 23, 2026

    AI technology aids in translating 3,500-year-old cuneiform tablets in Turkey

    May 22, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest news from WTX News Summarised in your inbox; News for busy people.

    My World News

    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    WTX News - Latest Global news and analysis and Breaking news with Exclusive News Briefings
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 WTX News.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.