Close Menu
WTX NewsWTX News
    What's Hot

    Five Italian nationals die during cave diving expedition in the Maldives

    May 19, 2026

    NATO fighter jet shoots down stray Ukrainian drone over Lithuania

    May 19, 2026

    First HS2 trains delayed until 2036 as costs soar to £107 billion | News UK

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Latest News
    • Five Italian nationals die during cave diving expedition in the Maldives
    • NATO fighter jet shoots down stray Ukrainian drone over Lithuania
    • First HS2 trains delayed until 2036 as costs soar to £107 billion | News UK
    • Ireland confirms detention of six citizens by Israel during aid flotilla mission
    • Martin Ney sentenced to life for killing three boys from 1992 to 2001
    • EU rebuffs Italy’s calls for more lenient budget rules amid tensions.
    • Abusers are Misusing Doorbell Cameras and Smart Sunglasses as Weapons | News UK
    • International Rescue Committee launches emergency response to Ebola outbreak in Central Africa
    • Memberships
    • Sign Up
    WTX NewsWTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics News
      • Business News
      • Tech News
      • COVID – 19
    • World News
      • Middle East News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • African News
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefing
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Woman’s Football
    • My World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • Tv Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking Recipes
      • Luxury
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    WTX NewsWTX News
    Latest News - News Briefing

    Chris Kaba shooting: Lead investigator speaks out after firearms officer acquitted

    0
    By News Desk on November 4, 2024 News Briefing, UK News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Chris Kaba shooting: Lead investigator speaks out after firearms officer acquitted

    The man who led the investigation into the police shooting of unarmed driver Chris Kaba has spoken out about the case for the first time after a police firearms officer was cleared of murder.

    Metropolitan Police Sergeant Martyn Blake was last month unanimously acquitted by a jury of murdering Mr Kaba, 24, after he tried to ram his way out of a police stop.

    The case sparked a flurry of debate over police accountability as police leaders hit out at the decision to press charges against the firearms officer. The home secretary has since announced plans for police marksman to be granted anonymity in court up until the point of conviction.

    However Sal Naseem, who led the probe into the shooting for the police watchdog the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IIOPC), said he had a “visceral reaction” to watching bodyworn camera footage of the incident, which lasted less than 20 seconds.

    “It’s a split-second decision but for [Sgt Blake] to discharge the firearm there has to be a significant threat to life,” he told BBC Panorama. “At the time he did, I just didn’t think there was cause.”

    The IOPC passed their investigation to the Crown Prosecution Service, who said the case met the test for prosecution following a detailed examination of the evidence.

    Meanwhile Mr Kaba’s family, who held protests in the wake of the not guilty verdict, have said they were “shocked and surprised” to discover the 24-year-old was involved in a nightclub shooting just five days before the police stop.

    After the trial, a judge lifted reporting restrictions preventing the media from reporting Mr Kaba’s previous convictions and links to a notorious south London gang called the Lambeth ‘67’.

    CCTV from a separate trial showed Mr Kaba shooting a rival in the leg on a packed dancefloor in Oval Space nightclub in Hackney, east London, on 30 August 2022, before following him outside and firing again. If he had not been killed, Mr Kaba would have most likely stood trial for attempted murder over this incident.

    The Audi he was driving on 5 September had also been linked to another shooting a night earlier, however officers had no intelligence over who was driving when they surrounded the vehicle in Streatham, south London.

    Mr Kaba’s father Prosper told the BBC that “the role of the police is not to kill”.

    Their son should instead have stood trial and, if convicted, gone to prison for the criminal activity they now know he was involved in, he added.

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/chris-kaba-shooting-met-officer-martyn-blake-b2640880.html

    London news The Independent UK crime UK featured
    Previous ArticleWhy is Bonfire Night celebrated? Guy Fawkes’ Gunpowder Plot explained
    Next Article Watch live: Keir Starmer announces Labour’s plan to tackle people smuggling

    Keep Reading

    First HS2 trains delayed until 2036 as costs soar to £107 billion | News UK

    Abusers are Misusing Doorbell Cameras and Smart Sunglasses as Weapons | News UK

    Justice Department establishes $1.7 billion fund to end Trump IRS lawsuit

    Two Teens ‘Sexually Assaulted on Great Yarmouth Beach’, Manhunt Underway

    Russia Attacks Ukraine with Extensive Drone Strikes, Claims Casualties

    London Tube Strikes Confirmed for This Week: What You Should Know

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    From our sponsors
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    First HS2 trains delayed until 2036 as costs soar to £107 billion | News UK

    May 19, 2026

    Abusers are Misusing Doorbell Cameras and Smart Sunglasses as Weapons | News UK

    May 19, 2026

    Justice Department establishes $1.7 billion fund to end Trump IRS lawsuit

    May 18, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest news from WTX News Summarised in your inbox; News for busy people.

    My World News

    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    WTX News - Latest Global news and analysis and Breaking news with Exclusive News Briefings
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 WTX News.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.