Close Menu
WTX NewsWTX News
    What's Hot

    EU to boost funding for Morocco’s migration management after crisis

    August 21, 2026

    Ukraine rallies support as NATO prepares to bolster eastern defences

    August 21, 2026

    Jazz and gospel celebrated in Little Burgundy as Montreal honours Oliver Jones

    August 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Latest News
    • EU to boost funding for Morocco’s migration management after crisis
    • Ukraine rallies support as NATO prepares to bolster eastern defences
    • Jazz and gospel celebrated in Little Burgundy as Montreal honours Oliver Jones
    • Liberia receives first group of deportees classified as third country from the US
    • Bus driver arrested following death of 14-year-old boy in Portsmouth crash
    • Fighter jets destroy explosive-laden sea drone near Romanian gas platform
    • Swiss village Kandersteg faces landslide risk from Spitze Stei rock
    • Brazil invests 2.3 billion reais to develop AI supercomputer and balance US, Chinese tech partnerships
    • Memberships
    • Sign Up
    WTX NewsWTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics News
      • Business News
      • Tech News
      • COVID – 19
    • World News
      • Middle East News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • African News
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefing
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Woman’s Football
    • My World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • Tv Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking Recipes
      • Luxury
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    WTX NewsWTX News
    Latest News - Business

    35,000 jobs set to be cut while HSBC resumes its redundancy plan

    0
    By News Desk on June 17, 2020 Business, World News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    HSBC is resuming a massive redundancy plan that had been put on pause after the outbreak of CORONAVIRUS, with 35,000 jobs set to be cut.

    The job cuts will be made over the medium term, while the lender will also freeze almost all external recruitment, said chief executive Noel Quinn in a memo sent to the bank’s 235,000 staff worldwide.

    “We could not pause the job losses indefinitely — it was always a question of ‘not if, but when’,” Quinn said.

    The bloodbath continues…#covid19 #redundancies https://t.co/Vrysu9fD9C

    — Alin (@AlinSneha) June 17, 2020

    HSBC had postponed the job cuts, part of a wider restructuring programme to cut $4.5bn (£3.6bn) in costs, in March.

    At the time, the lender said the extraordinary circumstances of the coronavirus pandemic meant it would have been wrong to cut staff.

    The bank will now resume the job cuts as profits fall and economic forecasts point to a challenging time ahead, Quinn said in the memo.

    Shares in the HSBC rose over one percent in morning trading in London.

     HSBC redundancy plan, ” no return to normality”

    “I wish I could say that the next few months will see a return to normality, but that is unlikely to be the case,” said Quinn.

    “The reality is that the measures and the change we announced in February are even more necessary today,” he added.

    “Since February we have pressed forward with some aspects of our transformation programme, but we now need to look to the long-term and move ahead with others, including reducing our costs,” Quinn told staff.

    “Against this backdrop, I am writing to let you know we now need to lift the pause on job losses,” he continued.

    Quinn added that he had asked senior executives to look at ways to cut costs in the second half of the year.

    Shares of HSBC have fallen 27 per cent since the start of March, with the pandemic prompting the lender to set aside $3bn in bad loan provisions in its first-quarter earnings.

    #shares of #HSBC have fallen 27% since the start of March… #maltawinds #banking #redundancies #profits #jobshttps://t.co/TyyKCPBf0j

    — Malta Winds (@WindsMalta) June 17, 2020

    HSBC has struggled to keep up with leaner and more focused competitors in recent years and is grappling with challenges including Brexit, lower interest rates, the coronavirus outbreak, and slowing economic growth.

    Under the restructuring plan first announced in February, HSBC said it would merge its private banking and wealth business, cut back its European equity business, and reduce its US retail network.

    ……………………………………….

    Coronavirus featured HSBC
    Previous ArticleViolence mars Paris protest for health workers
    Next Article Daily News Briefing: Life-saving Covid drug used across the NHS from today

    Keep Reading

    Ukraine rallies support as NATO prepares to bolster eastern defences

    Fighter jets destroy explosive-laden sea drone near Romanian gas platform

    Brazil invests 2.3 billion reais to develop AI supercomputer and balance US, Chinese tech partnerships

    Woman, 38, arrested for posing as a 12-year-old to gain couple’s trust

    Pirates hijack cargo ship carrying Turkish weapons off Somalia’s coast

    FBI conducts raid on former Representative Eric Swalwell’s home amid misconduct probe

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    From our sponsors
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    Ukraine rallies support as NATO prepares to bolster eastern defences

    August 21, 2026

    Fighter jets destroy explosive-laden sea drone near Romanian gas platform

    August 21, 2026

    Brazil invests 2.3 billion reais to develop AI supercomputer and balance US, Chinese tech partnerships

    August 21, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest news from WTX News Summarised in your inbox; News for busy people.

    My World News

    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    WTX News - Latest Global news and analysis and Breaking news with Exclusive News Briefings
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 WTX News.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.