Close Menu
WTX NewsWTX News
    What's Hot

    Senate Republicans postpone vote on reconciliation bill over DOJ fund concerns

    May 21, 2026

    Record levels of gonorrhoea and syphilis reported in Europe

    May 21, 2026

    Allegations of assault on Hearts players ‘not proven’, says O’Neill

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Latest News
    • Senate Republicans postpone vote on reconciliation bill over DOJ fund concerns
    • Record levels of gonorrhoea and syphilis reported in Europe
    • Allegations of assault on Hearts players ‘not proven’, says O’Neill
    • Oliver Glasner addresses Eberechi Eze after Arsenal’s Premier League title win
    • Aston Villa and Forest Players Shine in Key Match Analysis
    • Reckoning Action organisation addresses misogyny and seeks congressional accountability
    • Three teenagers who raped two girls avoid jail to support rehabilitation
    • Finnish experts suggest divers may have taken wrong tunnel in Maldives deaths
    • Memberships
    • Sign Up
    WTX NewsWTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics News
      • Business News
      • Tech News
      • COVID – 19
    • World News
      • Middle East News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • African News
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefing
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Woman’s Football
    • My World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • Tv Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking Recipes
      • Luxury
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    WTX NewsWTX News
    Latest News - Politics

    Bolsonaro Charged in 2022 Coup Plot: Brazil’s Political Crisis Deepens

    0
    By News Desk on February 19, 2025 Politics, South America, World News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro knew and agreed to a plan to poison his successor and current President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva as part of an attempted coup, Brazil’s Prosecutor-General Paulo Gonet said Tuesday.

    Gonet formally charged Bolsonaro and 33 accomplices with attempting a coup to stay in office after losing the 2022 election.

    Bolsonaro Charged in 2022 Coup Plot: Brazil’s Political Crisis Deepens

    Bolsonaro Charged in 2022 Coup Plot

    What are the allegations against Bolsonaro?

    “The members of the criminal organization structured at the presidential palace a plan to attack institutions, aiming to bring down the system of the powers and the democratic order, which received the sinister name of ‘Green and Yellow Dagger,'” Gonet said in the report.

    “The plan was conceived and taken to the knowledge of the president, and he agreed to it,” he added.

    The Supreme Court will now weigh the charges and decide whether to open a case against Bolsonaro, who has denied the charges, saying he is the victim of “persecution.”

    Prosecutors based their decision on a more than 800-page federal police report released last year after a two-year investigation.

    What was Bolsonaro’s plan?

    According to the prosecutor’s statement, the conspiracy began in 2021 with “systematic attacks on the electronic voting system, through public statements and on the internet.”

    During the second round of the presidential election in October 2022, security agencies were mobilized to “prevent voters from voting for the opposition candidate,” according to the statement.

    The accomplices involved at this stage worked to facilitate “the acts of violence and vandalism of January 8, 2023,” when Bolsonaro supporters stormed the presidential palace, Congress and the Supreme Court.

    Meanwhile, the criminal organization headed by Bolsonaro had pressured army chiefs “in favor of forceful actions in the political scene to prevent the elected president from taking office,” the statement said.

    Investigations also revealed a plot to assassinate Lula, Vice President Geraldo Alckmin and a high-ranking judge “with the approval” of Bolsonaro.

    The alleged plan was to poison Lula and shoot dead Supreme Court Justice Alexandre de Moraes, one of Bolsonaro’s former foes.


    Related

    https://beautiful-jemison.213-165-92-225.plesk.page/wp-content/uploads/2025/09/SEI_268402346-e685_1759270421.jpgwp-content/uploads/2025/11/skynews-football-world-cup_7086757.jpgwp-content/uploads/2025/02/SEI_238749946-f5eb-e1738823702959_1738827386.jpgbrazils-prosecutor-charges-jair-bolsonaro-says-he-approved-plot-to-poison-lula/

    Brazil coup plot Brazil politics featured Jair Bolsonaro Main Headlines South America featured Trending Trending Politics World News
    Previous ArticleWoman, 66, charged with killing five-year-old girl nearly 50 years ago
    Next Article Games Inbox: Would you pay £350 for a Nintendo Switch 2?

    Keep Reading

    Record levels of gonorrhoea and syphilis reported in Europe

    Finnish experts suggest divers may have taken wrong tunnel in Maldives deaths

    Iran coordinates passage of 26 vessels through Strait of Hormuz in 24 hours

    James Murdoch to acquire New York Magazine and Vox Media Podcast Network

    Texas Democrat Maureen Galindo faces backlash over comments on Zionism

    Taiwan’s President Lai expresses willingness to speak with Donald Trump

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    From our sponsors
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    Record levels of gonorrhoea and syphilis reported in Europe

    May 21, 2026

    Finnish experts suggest divers may have taken wrong tunnel in Maldives deaths

    May 21, 2026

    Iran coordinates passage of 26 vessels through Strait of Hormuz in 24 hours

    May 21, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest news from WTX News Summarised in your inbox; News for busy people.

    My World News

    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    WTX News - Latest Global news and analysis and Breaking news with Exclusive News Briefings
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 WTX News.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.