Author: News Desk

Boris Johnson criticised for making millions while rarely appearing in Commons The Guardian says Boris Johnson has been urged to stick to his job as an MP and save the speeches he charges private companies millions of pounds to hear for the House of Commons. Having already made more than £3.7m in 2023, the former prime minister has faced criticism for the limited time he has spent making contributions in parliament. New figures released by the “Westminster accounts” investigation, led by Sky News, show Johnson’s outside pay this year accounts for about 85% of that for all MPs. There is…

Read More

Boris Johnson ‘privately warned’ Dominic Raab about ‘bullying’ behaviour while PM The Metro says Boris Johnson privately warned Dominic Raab about his behaviour towards staff when the latter served in his cabinet, an investigation has heard. The former prime minister is understood to have provided evidence to Adam Tolley KC, a lawyer investigating a series of bullying allegations made by senior civil servants against Mr Raab. According to the Telegraph, it is considered ‘highly unusual’ for a former PM to be involved in an investigation launched by Downing Street. It is not clear what evidence Mr Johnson gave, but his…

Read More

Boris Johnson ‘privately warned’ Dominic Raab about his behaviour The Independent says Boris Johnson is said to have privately warned Dominic Raab about his behaviour when the latter held several cabinet positions under his leadership. The former Tory PM is understood to have provided evidence to Adam Tolley KC, the lawyer investigating bullying allegations made by senior civil servants against Mr Raab. Mr Johnson warned the senior Tory minister about his conduct while serving in his cabinet, according to The Telegraph. Both Mr Johnson and Mr Raab’s spokespeople declined to comment on the matter. Multiple sources with knowledge of the…

Read More

Today’s news summary – Paper Talk  Thursday’s front pages lead with a variety of stories. Controversial migrant bill Ministers reportedly have a plan to combat any potential ruling by the European Court of Human Rights that strikes down plans to deport illegal migrants who cross the Channel in small boats, according to The Times. The government aims to avoid pulling out of the court and instead plans to prevaricate, delay, and ignore rulings. However, the i warns that such plans could harm UK-EU relations, while staff working for Home Secretary Suella Braverman have reportedly told her the proposals will not…

Read More

Mae Muller announced as UK act for Eurovision 2023 Representing the United Kingdom at this year’s Eurovision Song Contest will be Mae Muller, who will perform her track “I Wrote A Song” in May.  The 25-year-old is hoping to follow in the footsteps of last year’s successful entry from Sam Ryder. Muller described the opportunity to compete in such a massive music competition as “a dream come true.” The UK is among the last countries to announce its song for the 2023 contest. The selection process for this year’s entry followed the same approach as last year, with the BBC…

Read More

Nicola Bulley: Man, 34, arrested over police scene footage On Wednesday morning, Lancashire Police arrested a 34-year-old man from Kidderminster, Worcestershire, on suspicion of malicious communications offences and perverting the course of justice. The arrest was made in connection with footage taken from inside a police cordon on 19 February, the day that the body of Nicola Bulley was found in the River Wyre. Nicola Bulley, a 45-year-old mortgage adviser, disappeared while walking her dog. Her body was found 23 days later in the river. It is believed that Nicola accidentally fell into the river whilst walking her dog. The…

Read More

Blackouts in Ukraine after wave of Russia missiles A wave of Russian airstrikes hit Ukraine this morning, with reports of casualties coming in. The wave of attacks marks the biggest day of Russian missile strikes on Ukraine since the end of January when 11 people died after dozens of buildings were struck in several regions. A mass missile attack struck an energy facility in the port city of Odesa, triggering power cuts, its governor Maksym Marchenko said. Residential areas were also hit but no casualties were reported, he added. “About 15” strikes hit Kharkiv city and region, with, “critical infrastructure…

Read More