Close Menu
WTX NewsWTX News
    What's Hot

    Police investigate sexual misconduct claim against Prince Andrew in 2010

    May 22, 2026

    Democratic primary in crucial California Latino district raises party concerns

    May 22, 2026

    Police investigate Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor over allegations of sexual offences

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Latest News
    • Police investigate sexual misconduct claim against Prince Andrew in 2010
    • Democratic primary in crucial California Latino district raises party concerns
    • Police investigate Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor over allegations of sexual offences
    • Banned UK vapes repurposed to create power sources for Ukrainian soldiers
    • Trump announces deployment of 5,000 additional US troops to Poland
    • US economy shows signs of recovery as job growth exceeds expectations
    • House Republicans cancel vote on Iran war resolution that had sufficient support
    • Gaza flotilla activists share injuries sustained during Israeli detention
    • Memberships
    • Sign Up
    WTX NewsWTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics News
      • Business News
      • Tech News
      • COVID – 19
    • World News
      • Middle East News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • African News
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefing
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Woman’s Football
    • My World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • Tv Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking Recipes
      • Luxury
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    WTX NewsWTX News
    Latest News - World News

    ‘Ad hoc system’ sending those leaving direct provision straight into homelessness

    0
    By News Desk on December 16, 2024 World News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    People leaving direct provision are facing straight into homelessness due to an “ad hoc system” that is heaping “maximum stress” on services, local authorities and the international protection applicants themselves.

    Mike Allen, director of advocacy at Focus Ireland, said the system appears designed to ensure that the failure of Ireland’s housing system and its asylum system falls “most heavily” on those who have come to Ireland for protection and have had that claim upheld.

    “[This is] one of the major challenges facing the incoming Government, and one that went entirely unmentioned in the election period, with no party bringing forward ideas for a functioning system or a lasting solution to the issue,” he said.

    According to the Department of Housing statistics, 179 single adults became homeless in Dublin as they left direct provision in the third quarter of this year. A further nine families also became homeless upon leaving direct provision. This was overwhelmingly focused on Dublin with similar trends not seen in other parts of the country.

    Previously, Housing Minister Darragh O’Brien said he had “concerns” about asylum seekers who have secured the status to remain in the country going from direct provision into homeless accommodation.

    In February, the Irish Times reported that senior officials at the Departments of Housing and Integration had clashed on the issue while Mr O’Brien said the latter department needed to “work hard” on their exit strategy when people are leaving direct provision.

    Mr Allen said that instead of a cross-government strategy for such persons, a policy has emerged of offering people in direct provision entirely unsuitable alternative accommodation, often in tents in areas which are remote to their employment or where their children are in school.

    “When people do not take up these offers, they find that they are refused emergency homeless accommodation by local authorities on the basis that they have ‘alternative accommodation’ that they can take up,” he said.

    It then takes up a lot of time by homeless organisations, pro-bono lawyers and volunteers to advocate for the household in direct provision so that their rights are recognised by the local authorities.

    “At the heart of the problem is the failure of Department of Housing, and the Government more widely, to recognise that those who have been granted asylum but are unable to find a home of their own need to be included in measure to tackle the housing crisis and homelessness.” 

    Separately, in Dublin, the Department of Housing figures show that 76 families presented as homeless in the third quarter having faced a no-fault eviction. The Government was heavily criticised for its move to lift the ban on no-fault evictions last year.

    A further 38 single adults also became homeless after a no-fault eviction in Dublin during this time.

    Meanwhile, 19 families in Dublin became homeless after leaving a refuge while a further 42 entered emergency accommodation due to a breakdown with a partner or parent.

    Across Cork and Kerry, 39 families became homeless in the third quarter of this year along with 120 single adults. Of these 39 families, 15 entered emergency accommodation due to a no-fault eviction.

    In their manifestos, both Labour and the Social Democrats both vowed to end no-fault evictions if in Government. While both parties are to engage with Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael next week, it may well be the case that neither are in the next Government.

    ‘Ad hoc system’ sending those leaving direct provision straight into homelessness

    News Just in

    Police investigate Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor over allegations of sexual offences

    News Desk

    Detectives investigating Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor are examining allegations of sexual misconduct linked to Jeffrey Epstein. Previously arrested for sharing confidential information as a UK trade envoy,

    Read More »

    Three teenagers who raped two girls avoid jail to support rehabilitation

    News Desk

    Three teenagers received youth rehabilitation orders after being convicted of raping two girls in separate incidents near Fordingbridge, Hampshire. The court noted the boys’ diagnoses

    Read More »

    Cork Dublin NI featured Northern Ireland News UK featured
    Previous Article‘For centuries, the Church has denigrated Corsican religiosity, a subtle blend of the sacred and the profane, which the pope is now interested in’
    Next Article Signs of improvement for Ulster Rugby, but there’s a long way to go, says Henderson

    Keep Reading

    Police investigate Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor over allegations of sexual offences

    Banned UK vapes repurposed to create power sources for Ukrainian soldiers

    Gaza flotilla activists share injuries sustained during Israeli detention

    Mikel Arteta reveals conversation with Andoni Iraola after Arsenal title win

    Bernardo Silva prioritises move to Atletico Madrid ahead of Manchester City exit

    Board of Peace envoy warns current Gaza situation risks becoming permanent

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    From our sponsors
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    Police investigate Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor over allegations of sexual offences

    May 22, 2026

    Banned UK vapes repurposed to create power sources for Ukrainian soldiers

    May 22, 2026

    Gaza flotilla activists share injuries sustained during Israeli detention

    May 22, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest news from WTX News Summarised in your inbox; News for busy people.

    My World News

    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    WTX News - Latest Global news and analysis and Breaking news with Exclusive News Briefings
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 WTX News.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.