TL;DR
- A mass shooting at a child’s birthday party in Stockton, California, has resulted in four fatalities, including children, and ten others wounded.
- The shooter remains at large, and police indicate that it may be a targeted incident, though details about the motive are unclear.
- Local officials expressed their grief over the tragedy, with California’s governor being briefed on the incident.
Children killed in mass shooting at birthday party in Stockton, California | US News
Children are among the fatalities in a mass shooting at a child’s birthday party in California.
Police said four people had died and 10 were wounded in the incident in Stockton, about 60 miles east of San Francisco.
Officers were called on Saturday to a banquet hall just before 6pm local time (2am UK time) and district attorney Ron Freitas said children were among the dead.
He said the attacker was still at large.
“We can confirm at this time that approximately 14 individuals were struck by gunfire, and four victims have been confirmed deceased,” San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office said on X.
The post said early indications suggest it could be a “targeted incident” but that information remains limited.
Police have so far not disclosed the attacker’s identity and the motive is unclear.
Stockton’s vice mayor Jason Lee confirmed on Facebook that the shooting on Lucile Avenue happened at a child’s birthday party.
Mayor Christina Fugazzi also said that “families should be together instead of at the hospital, standing next to their loved one, praying that they survive”.
California governor Gavin Newsom’s office added that he had been briefed on the “horrific shooting”.
This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.
Please refresh the page for the latest version.



