Close Menu
WTX NewsWTX News
    What's Hot

    First images released from Maldives cave where six divers died

    May 22, 2026

    Ireland warns against Ukraine associate membership risk, citing limbo

    May 22, 2026

    Workers document Congressional activities overnight to produce the Congressional Record

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Latest News
    • First images released from Maldives cave where six divers died
    • Ireland warns against Ukraine associate membership risk, citing limbo
    • Workers document Congressional activities overnight to produce the Congressional Record
    • Morrisons to close around 100 convenience stores in the UK this year
    • Six fatalities confirmed in Maldives diving accident at submerged cave
    • Police investigate sexual misconduct claim against Prince Andrew in 2010
    • Democratic primary in crucial California Latino district raises party concerns
    • Police investigate Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor over allegations of sexual offences
    • Memberships
    • Sign Up
    WTX NewsWTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics News
      • Business News
      • Tech News
      • COVID – 19
    • World News
      • Middle East News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • African News
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefing
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Woman’s Football
    • My World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • Tv Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking Recipes
      • Luxury
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    WTX NewsWTX News
    Latest News - France

    Sarkozy loses final appeal in graft case, will wear electronic tag

    0
    By News Desk on December 19, 2024 France, News Briefing, Politics
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    France’s highest appeals court on Wednesday, December 18, confirmed a verdict against former president Nicolas Sarkozy for corruption and influence peddling, ordering him to wear an electronic tag for a year, a first for a former head of state.

    Sarkozy, who had earlier been found guilty of illegal attempts to secure favors from a judge, will “evidently” respect the terms of the conviction after the Court of Cassation’s verdict, his lawyer Patrice Spinosi said. But he will take the case to the European Court of Human Rights within weeks, Spinosi added.

    This move at the Strasbourg-based ECHR will, however, not hold up Wednesday’s verdict from being carried out. The sanction now comes into force, Sarkozy having exhausted all the legal avenues in the case in France.

    In 2021, a lower court found that Sarkozy and his former lawyer, Thierry Herzog, had in 2014 formed a “corruption pact” with judge Gilbert Azibert to obtain and share information about another legal investigation involving the former president.

    The court sentenced him to a three-year jail term, two of which were suspended and one that was to take the form of home detention with an electronic tag allowing his movements to be monitored. That verdict had already been upheld once, by an appeals court, last year.

    Azibert and Herzog received the same sentences as Sarkozy. Herzog was also banned from working as a lawyer for three years. All three men have always claimed they were innocent. Sarkozy’s lawyer said he would “not give up this fight.”

    Sarkozy, writing on X, said he was the target of a “profound injustice.” He maintained his “perfect innocence” and said he expected the ECHR to find France at fault in the case, adding that “this could have been avoided if I had benefitted from a level-headed legal analysis.”

    Other trials pending

    The corruption case that led to Wednesday’s ruling focused on phone conversations that took place in February 2014. At the time, investigative judges had launched an inquiry into the financing of Sarkozy’s 2007 presidential campaign. During the inquiry, they discovered that Sarkozy and his lawyer Thierry Herzog were communicating via secret mobile phones registered to the alias “Paul Bismuth.”

    Wiretapped conversations on those phones led prosecutors to suspect Sarkozy and Herzog of promising magistrate Gilbert Azibert a job in Monaco in exchange for leaking information about another legal case involving Sarkozy. Azibert never got the post and legal proceedings against Sarkozy have been dropped in the case he was seeking information about. Prosecutors had concluded, however, that the proposal still constitutes corruption under French law, even if the promise wasn’t fulfilled.

    The so-called Bismuth case comes on top of separate cases about campaign financing overspending, and the alleged financing by Libya of Sarkozy’s 2007 election campaign.

    Sarkozy, 69, was sentenced to six months in prison and a six months suspended sentence on appeal in the so-called Bygmalion case. Sarkozy’s team was accused of spending nearly double the legal limit on his lavish 2012 re-election campaign, using false billing from a public relations firm called Bygmalion. He has denied any wrongdoing and appealed again, to the highest court.

    A new trial was ordered in a different case, over alleged Libyan financing of his 2007 election campaign. France’s financial crimes prosecutors said Sarkozy and 12 others should face trial over accusations they sought millions of euros in financing from the regime of then Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi for his ultimately victorious campaign. Sarkozy is accused of corruption, illegal campaign financing and concealing the embezzlement of public funds but has always rejected all the charges.

    Le Monde with AP and AFP

    Reuse this content

    Sarkozy loses final appeal in graft case, will wear electronic tag

    News Just in

    First images released from Maldives cave where six divers died

    Latest News Editor

    Five Italians died during a dive into the ‘shark cave’ in the Maldives, with images from the rescue mission highlighting the cave’s perilous conditions.

    Read More »

    Ireland warns against Ukraine associate membership risk, citing limbo

    Iris East

    Ireland’s Foreign Minister Helen McEntee warned that granting “associate membership” to Ukraine could hinder its EU accession momentum, risking a two-tier membership approach. This follows

    Read More »

    France featured French news French politics Le Monde Nicolas Sarkozy Paris What is happening in french politics right now
    Previous ArticleTomás Merina, new president of the Madrid College of Physicians: “I am going to defend the members, no matter who is in the Community” | Madrid News
    Next Article The pope’s questionable lecture on secularism

    Keep Reading

    Mikel Arteta updates on Jurrien Timber’s recovery ahead of Champions League final

    DNC report identifies key failures in 2024 presidential election strategy

    Air France and Airbus convicted of manslaughter over flight AF447 crash

    Saka, Saliba and Raya absent from Arsenal training ahead of final game

    DOJ indicts Raúl Castro over 1996 shooting of civilian aircraft in Cuba

    Starmer eases UK sanctions on Russian oil as fuel prices surge

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    From our sponsors
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    Mikel Arteta updates on Jurrien Timber’s recovery ahead of Champions League final

    May 22, 2026

    DNC report identifies key failures in 2024 presidential election strategy

    May 22, 2026

    Air France and Airbus convicted of manslaughter over flight AF447 crash

    May 21, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest news from WTX News Summarised in your inbox; News for busy people.

    My World News

    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    WTX News - Latest Global news and analysis and Breaking news with Exclusive News Briefings
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 WTX News.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.