Close Menu
WTX NewsWTX News
    What's Hot

    German Chancellor Friedrich Merz to visit China next week with delegation

    February 20, 2026

    Rio Ferdinand reveals Michael Carrick was convinced Man Utd star would win Ballon d’Or

    February 20, 2026

    Tourist Holds Baby Over 260ft Waterfall for Risky Holiday Photo in Argentina

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Latest News
    • German Chancellor Friedrich Merz to visit China next week with delegation
    • Rio Ferdinand reveals Michael Carrick was convinced Man Utd star would win Ballon d’Or
    • Tourist Holds Baby Over 260ft Waterfall for Risky Holiday Photo in Argentina
    • Hungary to Block Financial Aid for Ukraine Until Russian Oil Transit Resumes
    • Avalanches in Austrian Alps Claim Three Lives
    • Arsenal star told to ‘force a move away’ after Bukayo Saka decision
    • EU Commission Reviews US Supreme Court Ruling Impacting Trade Deal
    • ‘I grabbed the gun’ – local hero recounts confronting killer at Pawtucket rink
    • Memberships
    • Sign Up
    WTX NewsWTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics News
      • COVID – 19
    • World News
      • Middle East News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • African News
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefing
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Woman’s Football
    • My World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • Tv Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking Recipes
      • Luxury
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    WTX NewsWTX News
    Latest News - World News

    Two men sentenced in absentia to life in prison over 2012 Israeli bus bombing

    0
    By News Desk on September 21, 2020 World News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Two men sentenced in absentia to life in prison over 2012 Israeli bus bombing

    Two men were sentenced by a Bulgarian court on Monday to life in prison over the deadly 2012 bus bomb attack on Israeli tourists at the country’s Burgas airport.

    The July 2012 attack killed five Israelis including a pregnant woman, their Bulgarian bus driver and the Franco-Lebanese who carried the explosive, and left more than 35 people injured. 

    It was the deadliest attack against Israelis abroad since 2004. 

    Both Bulgarian and Israeli authorities blamed the bombing on the Lebanese Shiite movement Hezbollah, playing a part in a subsequent EU decision to blacklist Hezbollah’s military wing as a “terrorist” organisation. 

    Judge Adelina Ivanova sentenced the men – who fled Bulgaria and were tried in absentia – to “life in jail without parole,” finding them guilty of terrorism and manslaughter. 

    They were identified as Lebanese-Australian Meliad Farah, 31 at the time of the attack and Lebanese-Canadian Hassan El-Hajj Hassan, 25, and were charged in mid-2016 as the bomber’s accomplices. 

    The bomber – 23-year-old Franco-Lebanese Mohamad Hassan El-Husseini – was identified through DNA analysis. 

    Airport CCTV footage showed him wandering inside the airport’s arrivals hall with a backpack shortly before the explosion that tore through a bus outside the terminal. 

    According to witnesses, he tried to put his backpack inside the luggage compartment of the bus full of Israelis when it exploded. 

    All the tourists killed were in their twenties except for a pregnant 42-year-old woman. 

    Prosecutors were unable to determine if the explosive was detonated by the bomber or remotely by one of the two men, who had also helped him to assemble the explosive device. 

    The prosecutor told reporters last week she “pleaded for the heaviest punishment because I consider that this terrorist act deserves to be punished in the heaviest possible way.” 

    Both men were on put on trial in absentia in January 2018 for a terrorist attack and manslaughter but were never tracked down. 

    2012 Israeli bus bombing

    According to an investigation into the bombing, they arrived in Bulgaria from Romania in June 2012 and left again on the evening of the attack. 

    A public defender for Hassan, lawyer Zhanet Zhelyazkova, countered that evidence for her client’s alleged complicity with the attack was “only circumstantial.”

    Prosecutor Shtarkelova said the nature of the device, the fake US driver’s licences, their Lebanese descent and some family ties “linked both defendants(…) and the attack to the terrorist organisation Hezbollah.”

    The fake licenses were made by the same printer at a university in Lebanon, according to an investigation. It also said the suspects received money from people linked to Hezbollah.  

    Bulgaria’s chief prosecutor Ivan Geshev stressed Hezbollah was behind the attack “in terms of logistics and financing.” 

    The prosecution confirmed they had no clue where the two men are and they are still being sought on an Interpol red notice. 

    The court ruling is still subject to appeal to a higher court. 

    The prosecution confirmed that it had no clue about the two men’s whereabouts and that they are still sought on an Interpol red notice.

    ……………………..

    FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE WTX NEWS WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY:

    Facebook – Please like our page

    Twitter – Twitter updates available in English and Arabic. Please follow us and we would love to hear from you

    Instagram – Follow our pages in English and Arabic

    Bulgaria featured Hezbollah Israeli terrorism
    Previous ArticleTaj Mahal reopens despite India’s Covid-19 cases soaring
    Next Article World’s richest 1% cause more than double CO2 emissions of the poorest 50% – Oxfam 

    Keep Reading

    Tourist Holds Baby Over 260ft Waterfall for Risky Holiday Photo in Argentina

    Avalanches in Austrian Alps Claim Three Lives

    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested: Misconduct Investigation Updates

    Pep Guardiola gives Erling Haaland injury update ahead of Man City vs Newcastle

    US Strengthens Military Presence Near Iran: Key Insights on Defence Strategy

    Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie ‘devastated’ by Andrew’s arrest

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    From our sponsors
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    Friday’s News Briefing – Chaos in Westminster – More dead in Gaza and the weekend preview

    February 24, 2024

    Queen Elizabeth the Last! Monarchy Faces Fresh Demand to be Axed

    January 20, 2021

    To understand the new smart watched and other pro devices

    January 15, 2021

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest news from WTX News Summarised in your inbox; News for busy people.

    My World News

    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 WTX News.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.