Chris Rose
Chris Rose@ArchRose90
A Black Lives Matters protest in London regarding Chris Kaba. Looks like the white, middle class organisers forget to invite any black people.
Tommy Robinson
Tommy Robinson@TRobinsonNewEra
In the wake of death of UK political prisoner, Peter Lynch, who was fast tracked into prison for essentially shouting in the street. The grandfather was ultimately sentenced to death. Pakistani family who attacked police at Manchester Airport, STILL haven't even been charged.
Turning Point UK
Turning Point UK@TPointUK
Tiny ‘Black Lives Matter’ crowd gathers outside the Old Bailey courtrooms to protest the not guilty verdict of the police officer who shot violent criminal Chris Kaba. Kaba rammed his car repeatedly into armed police officers’ cars. BLM is finished in the UK.

Air France and Airbus convicted of manslaughter over flight AF447 crash

Court conviction
A French appeals court found Air France and Airbus guilty of involuntary manslaughter over the 2009 crash of flight AF447, imposing a maximum fine of €225,000 on each company.
Legal precedent

The ruling marks a significant legal precedent, establishing corporate culpability in aviation disasters and potentially influencing future regulatory frameworks and litigation within the aerospace industry.
Familial Response
“These prestigious firms will no longer be able to hide behind their self-satisfaction and technological pride,” stated Daniele Lamy, head of an association of families of the victims.

Air France and Airbus convicted of manslaughter in 2009 Rio-Paris crash over Atlantic

Air France and Airbus convicted of manslaughter over flight AF447 crash

A French appeals court convicted Air France and Airbus of involuntary manslaughter on Thursday over the 2009 crash of a Rio-Paris flight that killed 228 people, the worst disaster in France’s aviation history.

The Paris Court of Appeal ruling was a dramatic reversal of a lower court decision.

The appeal court said that the French flag carrier and Europe’s leading aerospace manufacturer were “solely and entirely responsible for the crash of flight AF447”, ordering each to pay €225,000, the maximum fine for corporate manslaughter.

While the penalties are symbolic, the ruling is seen as significant reputational damage for both companies.

Air France and Airbus have consistently denied any criminal liability, blaming pilot error.

The lower court ruling acquitted them in 2023, finding that the companies had made mistakes but could not be proven to have caused the crash.

But on Thursday the presiding judge said the lower court had not taken into account “the existence of the causal chain within which the pilots’ actions occurred, and which led to the deaths of all the passengers.”

“The AF447 crash was a disaster waiting to happen and one that could have been avoided if each of the companies involved had fully grasped the seriousness of the failure,” said Sylvie Madec.

Both companies announced they would appeal the ruling.

‘Self-satisfaction and pride’

Alain Jakubowicz, a lawyer for the civil parties, said he expected the ruling to set a legal precedent following a 17-year legal battle.

“No fight is unwinnable,” he added.

Air France, announcing its appeal, said it was “aware that this appeal prolongs what has already been a lengthy process, particularly for the families” but it pointed out that Air France’s criminal liability had previously been ruled out twice.

“The legal battle will continue,” said Simon Ndiaye, a lawyer for Airbus.

On 1 June 2009, Air France Flight AF447, travelling from Rio de Janeiro to Paris, was cruising over the Atlantic when the pilots lost control of the aircraft, causing it to plunge into the ocean.

There were no survivors among the 216 passengers and 12 crew on board the Airbus-built A330 aircraft, the dead including 72 French nationals and 58 Brazilians.

In Paris, the families of those killed in the crash praised the ruling.

Daniele Lamy, the head of an association of families of the victims, said the justice system had finally taken into account “the pain of the families.”

“These prestigious firms will no longer be able to hide behind their self-satisfaction and technological pride,” she addded.

But the mood was darker in Rio de Janeiro.

Nelson Faria Marinho, who lost his 40-year-old son in the crash, said the ruling brought him no comfort.

“I feel as if my son had died today,” said the head of an association of families of the victims in Brazil, adding he was outraged because no executive had been held accountable.

Although prosecutors in 2023 had asked for the charges to be dropped, they had subsequently lodged the appeal.

The eight-week appeal trial ran between September and December last year.

‘Pilots tried everything’

Lawyers for the families have argued that both companies were aware of the problem with the pitot tubes, used to measure flight speed, but the pilots were not trained to deal with such a high-altitude emergency.

The court heard how a malfunction with the tubes, which became blocked with ice crystals during a mid-Atlantic storm, caused alarms to sound in the plane’s cockpit and the autopilot system to switch off.

Experts highlighted how, after the instrument failed, the pilots put the plane into a climb that caused the aircraft to stall and then crash into the ocean.

The appeal court held Airbus responsible for several faults, including underestimating the seriousness of problems with sensors and failing to properly inform the crews of operating airlines.

Air France was found guilty of having failed to provide pilot training and to adequately inform flight crews.

Without ruling out that “pilot errors” might have been made during the 4 minutes and 30 seconds between the icing of the sensors and the impact with the ocean, the court nevertheless considered that the crew had not been sufficiently prepared to deal with the “extremely complex failure.”

“The pilots of AF447 truly tried everything to get out of this absolutely dreadful situation,” the presiding judge said.

“They went as far as their abilities allowed and nothing can be held against them.”

Get you up to speed: Senate GOP delays vote on reconciliation bill amid opposition to DOJ fund, White House ballroom

Senate Republicans have delayed a vote on a $72 billion reconciliation package for the Department of Homeland Security’s immigration agencies due to opposition regarding the Justice Department’s new “anti-weaponization” fund and Secret Service security funding. Senators reported that plans for a vote were abandoned, leading to the chamber’s adjournment for the Memorial Day recess.

Senate Republicans have yet to release a revised version of their $72 billion reconciliation package, which faced opposition over funding tied to the Secret Service and the Justice Department’s new “anti-weaponization” fund. House votes on the package, initially expected for Thursday evening, may be postponed as some members suggest addressing the legislation after the Memorial Day recess.

Senate Republicans have postponed a vote on a reconciliation package for the Department of Homeland Security due to opposition to the inclusion of the Justice Department’s new “anti-weaponization” fund and security funding linked to a ballroom renovation. House Speaker Mike Johnson plans to meet with the President to discuss next steps, while some House Republicans suggest delaying any vote until after the Memorial Day recess.

What remains unclear — It is uncertain when the Senate will reconvene to address the reconciliation package and related funding issues.

Senate Republicans postpone vote on reconciliation bill over DOJ fund concerns

Washington — Senate Republicans said they will not be voting on a reconciliation package to fund the Department of Homeland Security’s immigration agencies on Thursday, delaying consideration of the measure in the face of opposition to the Justice Department’s new “anti-weaponization” fund and security funding tied to the White House ballroom. 

Senate Republicans’ $72 billion package hit a snag when members in both chambers began voicing concerns about the inclusion of $1 billion in Secret Service security funding, including for the president’s East Wing Modernization Project that features plans for a massive ballroom

The Justice Department’s announcement of the new $1.776 billion fund to compensate those who say they were unfairly targeted by the government proved too much for some GOP senators to stomach. Several senators emerged from a meeting with acting Attorney General Todd Blanche without commenting.

Senators told reporters earlier that they expected the Secret Service funding to be stripped from the broader package. Republicans had been aiming to release new bill text on Wednesday, but had not done so as of Thursday afternoon. 

GOP leaders had been aiming to kick off a marathon vote series on Thursday night. But senators told reporters that vote would no longer happen, and that the chamber would adjourn for the Memorial Day recess.

President Trump has set a June 1 deadline to get the legislation to his desk. 

House Speaker Mike Johnson is planning to head to the White House to discuss the path forward, according to a source familiar with the plans. The House had been expected to remain in town on Friday to approve the package if the Senate did the same, but the upper chamber’s plans changed abruptly Thursday. 

Blanche met with Senate Republicans for nearly two hours, trying to get skeptical members on board with the Justice Department’s new fund. The fund was established as part of a settlement of a suit by Mr. Trump against the IRS, and pro-Trump allies, including those charged for their involvement in the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, have said they are eager to submit claims.

But Senate Republicans faced the prospect of being forced to vote on Democratic amendments related to the fund as part of the reconciliation process.

Senate Majority Leader John Thune told reporters earlier this week that he’s “not a big fan.” And with a number of members skeptical of the fund, Senate Republicans are considering how to add guardrails to their reconciliation bill to rein it in. Thune, when asked about the specific provisions members are seeking heading into the meeting, said “we’ll find out.”

GOP Sen. Susan Collins of Maine, the top appropriator in the Senate who has expressed opposition to the DOJ fund, told WTX US News as she left the meeting that she did not feel better about it. 

The ballroom security and DOJ funds are also facing pushback in the House. 

In a letter to Blanche on Wednesday, GOP Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania expressed “urgent concern” about the anti-weaponization fund, saying it “represents a dangerous backsliding in the transparency of our institutions and our commitment to the American taxpayer.” 

Fitzpatrick has also said he will not support funding for the ballroom. 

House lawmakers have votes scheduled for 4:30 p.m., and were advised that votes related to reconciliation were possible later in the evening, before the Senate changed its plans. 

Some House Republicans were already open to pushing a vote past the Memorial Day recess. 

“If they drag their feet, there’s no reason we have to do it before the Memorial Day break. We can do it when we come back,” GOP Rep. Andy Harris of Maryland, the chairman of the conservative House Freedom Caucus, told reporters as he left Johnson’s office Thursday afternoon. 

“There’s no emergency about moving it by June 1, except the president has thrown it out there,” Harris said. 

What to Watch

Amazon prime - TV & Netflix

We give you the best picks to binge on this week.

What to Watch

Love Sports

Get your pizza ordered with the latest Live Sports schedule.
Leave A Reply