Close Menu
WTX NewsWTX News
    What's Hot

    German Chancellor Friedrich Merz to visit China next week with delegation

    February 20, 2026

    Rio Ferdinand reveals Michael Carrick was convinced Man Utd star would win Ballon d’Or

    February 20, 2026

    Tourist Holds Baby Over 260ft Waterfall for Risky Holiday Photo in Argentina

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Latest News
    • German Chancellor Friedrich Merz to visit China next week with delegation
    • Rio Ferdinand reveals Michael Carrick was convinced Man Utd star would win Ballon d’Or
    • Tourist Holds Baby Over 260ft Waterfall for Risky Holiday Photo in Argentina
    • Hungary to Block Financial Aid for Ukraine Until Russian Oil Transit Resumes
    • Avalanches in Austrian Alps Claim Three Lives
    • Arsenal star told to ‘force a move away’ after Bukayo Saka decision
    • EU Commission Reviews US Supreme Court Ruling Impacting Trade Deal
    • ‘I grabbed the gun’ – local hero recounts confronting killer at Pawtucket rink
    • Memberships
    • Sign Up
    WTX NewsWTX News
    • Live News
      • US News
      • EU News
      • UK News
      • Politics News
      • COVID – 19
    • World News
      • Middle East News
      • Europe
        • Italian News
        • Spanish News
      • African News
      • South America
      • North America
      • Asia
    • News Briefing
      • UK News Briefing
      • World News Briefing
      • Live Business News
    • Sports
      • Football News
      • Tennis
      • Woman’s Football
    • My World
      • Climate Change
      • In Review
      • Expose
    • Entertainment
      • Insta Talk
      • Royal Family
      • Gaming News
      • Tv Shows
      • Streaming
    • Lifestyle
      • Fitness
      • Fashion
      • Cooking Recipes
      • Luxury
    • Travel
      • Culture
      • Holidays
    WTX NewsWTX News
    Latest News - News Briefing

    Sudan asylum seeker rejected by Home Office using pre-war information

    0
    By News Desk on July 9, 2023 News Briefing, Politics, UK News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Fighting in Sudan has been ongoing since April (Picture: REUTERS)

    An asylum seeker trying to flee war-torn Sudan had his application rejected because the Home Office was using outdated information about the country.

    Decision-makers were reportedly using information from 2021 to assess the country’s safety, despite war breaking out in April of this year.

    The investigation by i has raised concerns about the accuracy of Home Office asylum decisions.

    A rejection later sent last month said a Sudanese national doesn’t qualify for humanitarian protection because there is ‘not a real risk’ to him from ‘indiscriminate violence in situations of international or internal armed conflict’ in his home country.

    The decision-maker says the Sudanese national would not ‘face a real risk of suffering serious harm’.

    This is despite Sudan descending into civil war only three months ago, which has seen hundreds of people killed and more than 600,000 people leaving the country.

    It’s not yet clear how many, if any, other cases have been assessed using outdated information.

    Care4Calais, a refugee charity, described the situation as a ‘scandal’ and said the government ‘must immediately ensure that all asylum decisions are based on up-to-date country guidance’.

    Hundreds of thousands of people have fled Sudan (Picture: VIA REUTERS)

    Hannah Marwood, legal access manager at the charity, said: ‘With over 5,000 Sudanese asylum seekers stuck in the government’s legacy backlog, they should be getting on with processing claims and offering them protection given the ongoing conflict in Sudan.

    ‘Everyone knows that the situation in Sudan has significantly worsened in recent months, and reports of ethnic cleansing of non-Arab Darfuris are particularly concerning.

    ‘Under these circumstances, it is a scandal that the government is rejecting the asylum claims of non-Arab Darfuris who fled Sudan due to previous persecution.

    ‘To do so using country information that is two years out of date is either negligent or speaks to the wider systemic issues facing Sudanese asylum seekers in the UK.’

    Steve Valdez-Symonds, Amnesty International UK’s refugee and migrant rights director, said: ‘The situation in Sudan is dire and dangerous. The government should be opening up safe routes for people fleeing the conflict to find safety in the UK – particularly people with family here – and encouraging other countries to do the same.

    ‘This could provide some relief to neighbouring countries, deprive smugglers of opportunities to exploit people’s desperate need to attempt perilous journeys and ultimately save lives.’

    The Home Office could not explain why updated information wasn’t used when assessing the man’s case. A spokesman confirmed they would be in touch with the Sudanese national to ‘review his asylum application’.

    They added: ‘All asylum applications are considered on their individual merits in line with the asylum rules and the evidence presented.’

    Sources at the Home Office insisted country information was under constant review and updated periodically, and that decisions made were well reasoned.

    ‘The situation in Sudan is dire and dangerous. The government should be opening up safe routes for people fleeing the conflict to find safety in the UK – particularly people with family here – and encouraging other countries to do the same.’ 

    Asylum seekers Home office The Metro
    Previous Article‘Our reliance on tech is lazy and tragic —can’t we do our jobs?’
    Next Article Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom lock lips to a Bruce Springsteen soundtrack as they pack on PDA at rocker’s Hyde Park gig

    Keep Reading

    ‘I grabbed the gun’ – local hero recounts confronting killer at Pawtucket rink

    Tragic Tahoe Avalanche Claims Six Mothers: Families Share Heartfelt Stories

    US Strengthens Military Presence Near Iran: Key Insights on Defence Strategy

    11-Year-Old Girl Among Victims of Air-Fryer Blaze at Chinese Takeaway

    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested Amid Misconduct Allegations

    Avalanche Tragedy: 8 Skiers Dead in Lake Tahoe Incident, Updates Here

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    From our sponsors
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    Friday’s News Briefing – Chaos in Westminster – More dead in Gaza and the weekend preview

    February 24, 2024

    Queen Elizabeth the Last! Monarchy Faces Fresh Demand to be Axed

    January 20, 2021

    To understand the new smart watched and other pro devices

    January 15, 2021

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest news from WTX News Summarised in your inbox; News for busy people.

    My World News

    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • EU News
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • News Briefing
    • Live News

    Company

    • About WTX News
    • Register
    • Advertising
    • Work with us
    • Contact
    • Community
    • GDPR Policy
    • Privacy

    Services

    • Fitness for free
    • Insta Talk
    • How to guides
    • Climate Change
    • In Review
    • Expose
    • NEWS SUMMARY
    • Money Saving Expert

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 WTX News.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.