Will Manchester United let Ronaldo leave during the transfer window
Manchester United might let top scorer of last season Cristiano Ronaldo leave the club during the current transfer window, amid rumours Ronaldo is unhappy at the club and wants to leave to play Championship football, as well as concerns about how the striker’s mood is affecting morale at Old Trafford.
New Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag’s public stance on Ronaldo is that he is not for sale and remains part of his plans for the club going forward. Despite Ronaldo being 37.
But now it’s being reported that senior figures are concerned about how the positive feelings during the successful pre-season tour have disappeared.
Manchester United legend, Cristiano Ronaldo returned to the club last year under Ole Gunnar Solejskaer – who was sacked and replaced by interim manager Ralf Ragncik. Who was then replaced by Erik ten Hag.
The successful United pre-season tour of Australia and Thailand had many United fans excited about a promising new season, after a diabolical last year.
But the Red Devils’ new Premier League season has got off to another poor start. In their first game, they lost 2-1 to Brighton at Old Trafford, and their first away game saw a 4-0 thumping from Brentford.
Ronaldo’s frustration was evident in both games. He currently has a year left on the contract he signed when he returned to Man United from Juventus less than 12 months ago. It’s widely reported he wants United to let him leave this summer.
The dire start to the new season is in part being blamed on Ronaldo’s behaviour. He is said to be a negative presence at the club and he hardly communicates with his teammates and has made no secret about wanting to move away.
Sources told BBC Sport that they fear there will be no change to United’s failures until Ronaldo leaves and there is a belief that even if he left and there was no replacement, the uplift in mood would trigger a significant improvement in overall performances.
Ten Hag, chief executive Richard Arnold and football director John Murtough will have to decide before the transfer window closes on 1 September.
Manchester United have lost both their opening games are remain pointless, at the bottom of the table. The only goal they have is a Brighton own goal. United next play Liverpool on Monday 22 August.
Former United player Gary Neville said on Sky Sports on Monday: “There is a massive decision to make on Ronaldo. He is obviously not happy, the problem is if they lose him there is nothing left in the goalscoring part of the pitch. I genuinely think if he leaves and they don’t bring people in they could finish bottom half of the table.”
Ronaldo was United’s top scorer last season – and third in the Premier League – but the club still finished sixth and missed out on Champions League qualification.
Chelsea ended their interest in Ronaldo last month – the Portugues star has also been linked with Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid.
Atletico fans have been vocal in not wanting their club to sign Ronaldo.