Hassan Abu al-Neil, 12, dies of wounds a week after he was shot by Israeli forces during protests at the Gaza border.
According to Gaza health officials, a 12-year-old Palestinian boy who was shot in the head by Israeli forces during a demonstration at the Gaza-Israel border last week has died from his wounds.
Hassan Abu al-Neil, who died on Saturday, was shot on August 21 during the demonstration organised by Gaza’s Hamas rulers to mark the 52nd anniversary of the burning of the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in occupied East Jerusalem and to protest against the crippling blockade imposed by Israel and Egypt.
During the protests, Israeli forces shot on Palestinians, injuring at least 41 people.
Some protesters tried to climb the border fence and hurled “explosive devices” at Israeli soldiers, according to the Israeli military.
Another Palestinian man, later identified as a member of the military wing of Hamas, died of his wounds on Wednesday.
An Israeli soldier remains in critical condition after being shot by a protester.
Since the end of the weekly Great March of Return protests in 2019, the clashes along the border have been the most violent. Thousands of Palestinians protested along the Gaza border from 2018 to 2019 against the blockade and for their right to return to lands they were ethnically cleansed from when Israel was established in 1948.
Hundreds of Palestinian protesters gathered along the Gaza-Israel border on Wednesday, calling for an end to Israel’s blockade, which has been in place since 2007.
Under pressure from Egyptian mediators, Hamas kept protesters away from the separation fence, and the protests ended without the deadly violence of the previous week.
Following the demonstrations on Wednesday, Israel announced that it will ease some of Gaza’s commercial restrictions, allowing vehicles, goods, and equipment for construction works to enter the Palestinian enclave. If things keep silent, Israel’s Defense Ministry says the easing might continue.
Egypt, which had closed its border crossing with Gaza to put pressure on Hamas, also partially reopened the crossing to allow a light flow of traffic to enter Gaza from Egypt.
On August 19, the Israeli government negotiated an agreement with Qatar, allowing the Gulf country to begin aid payments to Gaza Strip families in the following of May’s 11-day war — Israel’s fourth major assault on the coastal enclave since Hamas took power there in 2007.
Israel suspended aid payments in May and said the move was necessary to ensure Hamas did not benefit from cash injections.
At least 260 Palestinians were killed during May’s Gaza-Israel war, including 67 children and 39 women, according to the Gaza health ministry. Hamas has acknowledged the deaths of 80 fighters. Twelve civilians, including two children, were killed in Israel, along with one soldier.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE WTX NEWS WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY:
Facebook – Please like our page
Twitter – Twitter updates available in English and Arabic. Please follow us and we would love to hear from you
Instagram – Follow our pages in English and ArabicLeave a comment