Recipe: Clodagh McKenna’s 12 rock buns
Clodagh’s taking us back to her childhood with one of her favourite family recipes.
Crunchy, crumbly rock buns are the perfect accompaniment to those precious five minutes to yourself.
220g/1 cup plain /all-purpose flour
2 tsps of baking powder
110g / ¼Ib butter, cubed and chilled
110g / ½ cup light brown sugar
80g / ½ cup of any of these dried fruits – sultanas, raisins, cranberries, dates, figs, orange peel
½ tsp of ground nutmeg
1 tsp of ground cinnamon
A little milk
Sprinkle of brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200oC/400F/Gas 6
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl
- Using your fingers rub the cubed chilled butter into the flour, until it resembles breadcrumbs or blend them together in a food processor. Next stir in the sugar, dried fruits, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Lightly whisk the egg with a little milk and mix into the dry ingredients. Mix with a fork to a stiff mixture.
- Flour a baking tray/sheet and place the mixture in rough heaps, about a dessertspoon for each bun
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the buns and a little cinnamon if you like
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden on top
- Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack
For more recipes click here
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE WTX NEWS WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY:
Facebook – Please like our page
Twitter – Twitter updates available in English and Arabic. Please follow us and we would love to hear from you
Instagram – Follow our pages in English and ArabicLeave a comment