News Briefing

Daily News Briefing: Visiting people at home banned in Northern England

Visiting people at home banned in Northern England

GLOBAL COVID-19 TODAY

CORONAVIRUS CASES: 17,481,953

DEATHS: 676,824

RECOVERED: 10,941,906

……………………………………

……………………………………

Visiting people at home banned in Northern England

BBC News says separate households have been banned from meeting each other indoors in Greater Manchester, east Lancashire and parts of West Yorkshire following a spike in coronavirus cases.

The health secretary said the increase in transmission was “largely due” to people not observing social distancing.

Labour criticised the government for a lack of clarity over the measures and for announcing them “late at night”.

Read the full story on BBC News

……………………………………

Companies ready to defy PM’s planned return to the office

The Guardian says a slew of England’s biggest businesses are set to defy the government’s push to get workers back into offices in August, with many big businesses sticking to home working arrangements or delaying a partial return until September at the earliest.

Law firms, insurers, energy providers and tech firms are among those reacting cautiously to the change in government advice, which means from Saturday employers can decide whether staff can safely come back to offices. Some companies, such as Google and NatWest Group, are allowing workers to stay at home until 2021 amid signs of a permanent shift in working culture.

Read the full story on The Guardian

……………………………………

India’s virus deaths pass Italy’s as floods hamper battle

France24 says India’s coronavirus death toll passed 35,000 on Friday, overtaking that of Italy, as floods affecting millions and killing almost 350 hampered the battle against the pandemic.

With 779 new deaths in 24 hours, the health ministry put total fatalities at 35,747, giving India the world’s fifth-highest death toll behind the United States, Brazil, Britain and Mexico, according to an AFP tally.

Read the full story on France24

……………………………………

UAE coronavirus cases top 60,000 

Arab News says coronavirus infections in the UAE topped 60,000 with 302 new cases confirmed overnight, as the country continues its massive drive to conduct COVID-19 tests to ensure early detection.

The Ministry of Health and Prevention has conducted more than 5 million tests so far since the coronavirus pandemic broke, with additional 55,257 daily tests undertaken so far, a report from state news agency WAM said.

Read the full story on Arab News

……………………………………

Philipines extends lockdown

Aljazeera says President Rodrigo Duterte extended quarantine restrictions in the capital Manila, limiting movements of the elderly and children, and the operations of businesses from restaurants to gyms, until mid-August.

“My plea is to endure some more. Many have been infected,” Duterte said in a televised address.

Read the full story on Aljazeera

……………………………………

US reports more than 67,000 new cases 

CNN says a total of 67,619 new coronavirus cases and 1,233 deaths were recorded across the United States on Thursday, according to Johns Hopkins University.

The number of confirmed cases in the US now stands at 4,494,601, including at least 152,055 virus-related fatalities.

Read the full story on CNN

……………………………………

BAFTA TV awards to give viewers a glimpse of stars in their natural habitats

Sky News says they might not be getting the fancy red carpet treatment, but the stars of our favourite shows will still be out in force – albeit virtually – for the BAFTA TV awards this evening.

Bookshelves crammed with weighty tomes? A casual display of awards from previous years and shows? Messy kitchens and impromptu visits from kids and pets? This year, viewers will get to see the BAFTAnominees in their natural habitats.

Read the full story on Sky News

……………………………………

Newcastle fans ‘confused and heartbroken’ after takeover collapses

BBC Sport says Newcastle United fans say they are “confused” and “heartbroken” following the collapse of the Saudi Arabian-backed takeover.

A consortium, led by the country’s Public Investment Fund (PIF), agreed a £300m deal to buy the club from Mike Ashley in April but has now pulled out.

Greg Tomlinson, from the Newcastle United Supporters’ Trust, said: “answers are needed from the Premier League”.

Read the full story on BBC Sport

………………………

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE WTX NEWS WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY:

FacebookPlease like our page

Twitter Twitter updates available in English and Arabic. Please follow us and we would love to hear from you

Instagram – Follow our pages in English and Arabic

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

To Top
%d bloggers like this: