News Briefing

Daily News Briefing: Virus kills FIFTH Brit – US troops start to leave Afghanistan & Italy on LOCKDOWN

Italy on lockdown

BRIEF – ME! – DAILY NEWS BRIEFING

In today’s briefing update, The headlines are – in the UK, a fifth person has died after contracting COVID-19.

Coronavirus, the whole of Italy is on lockdown! Travel bans and a ban on public gatherings measures for the entire country. The French Culture Minister has tested positive for COVID-19. 

Iran is being hit the hardest, the oil price war and coronavirus are crippling the country. 

US troops have begun to leave Afghanistan as required in the US-Taliban agreement.

Entertainment, Harry Potter star says he’s ‘terrible’ at spending £90million fortune.

………………………………………………………

Coronavirus: a fifth person dies in the UK after contracting COVID-19

Sky News says a fifth person has died in the UK after contracting coronavirus. fifth person dies in uk

The victim who had tested positive for COVID-19 was in their 70s and had underlying health issues. They passed away in St Helier Hospital in Carshalton, south London. 

Daniel Elkeles, chief executive for Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust, said: “We can confirm that sadly, a patient in their seventies who was very unwell with a number of significant and long-term health conditions has passed away at St Helier Hospital.”

Read the full story on Sky News 

………………………………………………………

Coronavirus: Italy extends emergency measures nationwide

BBC News says Italy has extended its emergency coronavirus measures, which include travel restrictions and a ban on public gatherings, to the entire country. Italy on lockdown

On Monday, the PM ordered people to stay at home and seek permission for essential travel. 

He said the measures were designed to protect the most vulnerable. “There is no more time,” he said in a TV address. 

Italy’s death toll jumped from 366 to 463 on Monday and remains the worst-hit country after China. 

Read the full story on BBC News

………………………………………………………

US troops begin withdrawal from Afghanistan

Aljazeera News says US troops have started to leave Afghanistan for the initial troop withdrawal required in the US-US troops leave afghanistanTaliban agreement, a spokesman for US Forces in Afghanistan announced on Monday, amid political chaos in Kabul that threatens the deal.

The US will cut the number of forces in the country to 8,600 according to a statement by US Forces Afghanistan spokesman Colonel Sonny Leggett.

“In accordance with the US-Islamic Republic of Afghanistan Joint Declaration and the US-Taliban Agreement, US Forces Afghanistan (USFOR-A) has begun its conditions-based reductions of forces to 8,600 over 135 days,”  Legget said in a statement. 

Read the full story on Aljazeera News

………………………………………………………

France’s Culture Minister has coronavirus

France24 says French Culture Minister Franck Riester has tested positive for COVID-19, a source close to the ministry french minister has coronavirussaid on Monday, adding the 46-year-old member of government was “feeling well.”

“The minister tested positive today,” after displaying symptoms, the ministry said.  

The statement also noted that Riester had spent several days last week in the country’s lower house National Assembly, where five virus cases were confirmed earlier.

Read the full story on France24

………………………………………………………

Iran hit hardest as oil price war and coronavirus cripples the nation

Fox News says the one-two punch of coronavirus and an escalating oil price war that is roiling world markets is hurtingiran hit hardest with oil price war and virus Iran more than any other county. 

Already dealing with a deadly outbreak, the Islamic Republic, heavily dependent on oil revenues, is in n position to deal with the lowest per-barrel prices seen in decades. 

“$20 oil in 2020 is coming,” tweeted Ali Khedery, a former US official in Iran. “Huge geopolitical implications. Timely stimulus for net consumers. Catastrophic for failed/failing petro-kleptocracies Iraq, Iran, etc. – may prove existential 1-2 punch when paired with COVID 19.”

Read the full story on Fox News

………………………………………………………

Harry Potter star says he’s ‘terrible’ at spending his £90million fortune

Mirror says Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe has said he is bad at spending – as his pals often tell him. Harry Potter 2007

The 30-year-old actor shot to fame in 2001 playing the role of Harry Potter in the widely successful franchise. He is estimated to be worth £90 million.  

“I don’t do a huge amount with my money,” he admits. “I’m not particularly extravagant. There are moments where I think, ‘Man, I’m really bad at being famous.’”

At the suggestion he’s also bad at being rich, he tells James O’Brien’s podcast Full Disclosure: “I’m terrible.” Daniel added he felt “lonely” after Harry Potter ended.

Read the full story on Mirror

………………………………..

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE WTX NEWS WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY:

FacebookPlease like our page

Twitter – Twitter updates available in English and Arabic. Please follow us and we would love to hear from you

Instagram – Follow our pages in English and Arabic

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

To Top
%d bloggers like this: