Advertisements
News Briefing

Daily News Briefing: Meghan returns to Canada – Hundreds of thousands told to evacuate Australia & Measles epidemic kills 6,000

Australians told to evacuate

BRIEF – ME! – DAILY NEWS BRIEFING

In today’s briefing update, the Duchess of Sussex has returned to Canada while discussions continue over the role she and Prince Harry will play. 

Iran warns of ‘dangerous response’ if the US attacks again. On Wednesday, Trump said it appeared Iran was standing down.

In Australia, nearly half a million people have been told to evacuate ahead of a heatwave and high winds. The current weather warning brings fears the winds will fan the existing fires causing them to spread.

The world’s worst case of measles has killed more than 6,000 people in the Democratic Republic of Congo – more resources are desperately needed to fight it!

Entertainment, BAFTA have said they will be reviewing their voting process – after diversity backlash.

IN MANCHESTER

A driving course that will allow 10-year-olds to get behind the wheel will be relaunched in Salford this month. The course is aimed at making the next generation of drivers safer and parents can enrol their children for lessons between the age of 10 and 17. Driving lessons start on January 26 at Barton Moss Makro car park in Eccles. And they will drive around a realistic road system complete with traffic signs, roundabouts and junctions. 

IN LONDON

The popular tourist attraction Madame Tussauds has separated Harry and Meghan from the rest of the Royal Family. They had been placed next to the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, but following their statement announcing they will step back as senior royals, the museum has moved them. 

The general manager at the attraction, Steve Davies said the couple were two of their most popular figures. He said: “From today Meghan and Harry’s figures will no longer appear in our Royal Family set.”

All this and more in today’s news briefing – A daily roundup of all the news headlines that you need to know, summarised as part of WTX News Briefing.

………………………………………………………

Meghan returns to Canada as Queen seeks a solution

BBC News says the Duchess of Sussex has returned to Canada while discussions over her and Prince Harry’s future roleMeghan goes back to Canada continue. 

The Queen, the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge asked staff to find a workable solution after the couple announced they are stepping back as senior royals. 

The Royal Family was said to be “hurt” at the couple’s statement and according to sources, they did not consult any other royal about making their personal statement. 

Read the full story on BBC News 

………………………………………………………

Iran warns of ‘dangerous response’ if the US attacks again

Aljazeera reports Iranian President Hassan Rouhani warned the US it risked a “dangerous response” if the White HouseIran warns US if they attack again tried any further interventions in the region. 

President Trump said on Wednesday that Iran now “appears to be standing down.” Rouhani says they will retaliate if required. 

“If the US makes another mistake it will receive a very dangerous response,” Rouhani was quoted as saying by Iran’s Tasnim news agency during a call with British PM Boris Johnson.

Read the full story on Aljazeera 

………………………………………………………

Australian authorities advise nearly a quarter of a million people to ‘Get Out’ ahead of heatwave

France24 says Australian authorities urged nearly a quarter of a million people to evacuate their homes on Friday and prepared military backup as soaring temperatures and erratic winds were expected to fan deadly bushfires across the Australians told to evacuateeast coast. 

Temperatures were expected to go above 40 degrees Celsius in several parts of the country on Friday. Along with the soaring temperatures, high winds threaten to inflame fires that have already left thousands homeless.

“If you can get out, you should get out, you shouldn’t be in remote and forested parts of our State,” the emergency management commissioner for the State of Victoria told ABC. 

Emergency text alerts have been sent to 240,000 people in Victoria State alone, telling them to leave. People in high-risk areas in New South Wales and South Australia states were also urged to think about leaving.

Read the full story on France24

………………………………………………………

World’s worst measles epidemic kills 6,000 people

CNN reports measles has killed more than 6,000 people in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) the World Health 6000 dead in worlds worst measles epidemicOrganisation has said. 

In a statement Tuesday, the organisation called on international partners and agencies to increase resources to fight what is being called the “world’s worst measles epidemic.”

Around 310,000 suspected measles cases have been reported in the DRC since last year and a shortage of funds remained a “huge impediment” to efforts to stop the outbreak, the WHO said.

Read the full story on CNN

………………………………………………………

BAFTA to review the voting process after diversity backlash

Sky News reports BAFTA is reviewing its voting process after criticism over the lack of diversity in its nominations. BAFTA to review voting process after diversity backlash

In all acting categories, the nominees are white and no women moviemakers have been shortlisted for best director or got a nod in the best film section. 

The head of the academy’s film committee Marc Samuelson told Variety there will be a “careful and detailed review within and outside the membership.”

Read the full story on Sky News

………………………………..

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE WTX NEWS WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY:

Facebook – Please like our page

Twitter – Twitter updates available in English and Arabic. Please follow us and we would love to hear from you

Instagram – Follow our pages in English and Arabic

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

To Top
%d bloggers like this: